Hair Loss...again

SweetiePea
on 10/18/11 10:45 am - IA

I've read and searched about the hair loss that most will experience. I went into this knowing it would happen. Mine started after the first month of my surgery but this month has been really bad.

Have to admit that I wasn't that worried since I've always had thick hair. I'm hear to tell you that my hair is extremely thin now and yesterday scared the crap out me. It was coming out in hand fulls. I paniced in the shower and while cleaning my brush after using it (always clean my brush after each use).

I'm hoping its coming to an end. Pretty good about taking my vitamins and getting my protein in each day. I thought something is wrong. Will be taking a shower tonight...if it happens again...it probably will mortify me.

When does it end?? 

Height - 4'10"

USAF Wife
on 10/18/11 10:51 am
Average shedding last 3-6 months. If you haven't, I recommend having your labs pulled, checking your vitamin levels and thryoid levels especially.

Iron and Zinc being low can contribute to excessive hairloss as well.

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

SweetiePea
on 10/18/11 10:55 am - IA
They did labs last month and said everything is perfect!! I have never had any doubt but last nite scared me with the amount of loss.

Thanks for your response...I have always followed your journey. When are you due?
Height - 4'10"

USAF Wife
on 10/18/11 10:59 am
She'll be here on November 1st.

As for your labs, and believe I love, adore, trust my medical team, but I had to ask to make sure they were pulling everything. They don't usually test for zinc, selenium, copper, or Vitamin D3. So, just because they said "everything was good" doesn't mean it's the full panel you need. I'm not trying to be crass, but believe me, I have to trend my own labs because numbers can start dropping and still be within normal ranges, and then BAM 6 months later, those same "normal" numbers are in the toilet. I haven't had this happen, but it does happen a lot around these parts.

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

SweetiePea
on 10/18/11 11:02 am - IA
Ok...will make a call to the surgeon office and let them know of the big change.

Thanks!!
Height - 4'10"

RPrice85
on 10/18/11 11:13 am - MI
You can also buy seperate vitamins that are tailored for hair and nail growth. My mom had to do this in the beggining after her RNY surgery. They helped her alot! Good luck!
Yolanda P.
on 10/18/11 11:29 am
If you don't mind me asking what were the vitamins your mom used?
Yolanda

RPrice85
on 10/25/11 9:03 am - MI
If you go into any pharmacy section at a store there are vitamins that say hair, nail, and skin on them. I would have to ask her what the exact ones she used, but knowing her she probably won't remember...lol
2muchfluff
on 10/18/11 11:54 am
 I am almost eleven months out and hair loss is just now starting to slow a little.  I think mine was worse because I have had extremes in my thyroid levels, both high and low during this time.  I feel like my thyroid levels are good right now, so maybe that is why the hair loss is starting to slow.  I was really starting to worry as the hair I have left is beginning to look a little post-chemo patient. Hope it starts coming back in soon.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 81 views