Revision

ladyshai27
on 10/18/11 5:19 am - SC
I am planning to have a revision from Lap Band to VSG. Can you guys tell me pros and cons of this surgery? 
Hislady
on 10/18/11 6:42 am - Vancouver, WA

Can't give you pros and cons but can say that I hope to eventually revise to the sleeve myself, anything has to be better than these blasted bands. I hope some of the sleevers can give you more info or just read back on this forum and you'll probably find anything you want to know. Good luck to you!
Tonya B.
on 10/18/11 8:12 am - Campobello, SC
I had my surgery in Mexico because my insurance wouldn't pay...so I was self pay and it was much cheaper.  I did my homework because I didn't want to go to a 'clinic"  I wanted a REAL hospital with a REAL good doctor! and I have to say I was very pleased. 

I am two years out and have done well, for the most part.  (not enough support back home)
I was very sore in my tummy area for a couple of days after surgery and the drain tube pulled and was very agravating, and uncomfortable, but my biggest thing was the PAINFUL gas...I HURT SO BAD in my neck and shoulder that I thought I was having a heart attack!  I have since heard that it is very normal to have such pain...it wasn't the pain as much as just not know WHY I was hurting in my shoulder and neck...I was afraid something had gone wrong...but is was just gas!

I do remember not wanting to move around or drink much, but the nurses MADE me!
Just remember to take SMALL sips...one at a time...I would take an extremely small sip...wait 5-10 mins and then take another small sip...I did this throughout the first several days!

Hope this helps!
Tonya
SC

USAF Wife
on 10/18/11 8:34 am
Here's the "condensed" list:

1) No food intolerances ( I literally eat anything and everything I want, in my losing stage I low carbed it, didn't miss the junk food, got to goal and slid into maintenance over a 4 month period, I do eat all foods, however I follow the rule of protein first 86-90% of the time, I do eat white carbs but that is because I CAN, some can not, and some choose to NOT, I drink soda, alcohol, and my sleeve capacity for dense protein is the same as it was around my 8 month post-op mark, slider foods are slider foods regardless of which surgery we have, so sliders go in and slide right out, I keep those things in check for the most part, but some days I just wanted a loaded baked potato, it's all about moderation for me, and that's my "normal).

2) No puking, pb'ing or food getting stuck

3) No fills unfills none of that elusive sweet spot bull****

4) Constant immediate restriction

5) You'll have to still be diligent with food choices, follow a solid post-op plan

6) Lack of hunger (this is my favorite)

There a ****pot more pros, really no cons. I'm over 28 months out from my revision, lost 140lbs with VSG alone, maintained my loss for nearly a year until pregnancy weight started creeping in, and well, it's pretty phenomenal.

I have some permanent nerve damage from the band, had complications with my revision, and an extensive recovery, BUT (you knew there was a BUT) I would endure every struggle, hurdle, obstacle to live the life I have today.

Best wishes!

I recommend checking out this link for more personal stories, and information regarding the sleeve via the research links at the bottom. Any questions, feel free to ask!
http://vsgfaq.wordpress.com/

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 315 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views