Need a little encouragement!

shellemac
on 10/19/11 1:55 am
I'm a little over 2 weeks out and and I just need to vent a little and hope for a little encouragement.  I'm having absolutly no problems getting my fluids and protein in each day, but I am constantly wanting something to eat.  My doctor's plan has me on fluids for 4 weeks.

I'm not sure if it is hunger.  I have always had terrible acid reflux.  I usually take zegerid, but the pills are too large and nexium is no longer on my formulary.  The OTC prilocec helps some and the dr also added an H2 blocker (zantac) to try to help me out.  I'm hoping for a little encouragement that this may get a bit better once I'm on food?  I'm also hoping I can get back on zegerid in a couple of weeks.

I'm not loving my sleeve right now, and I know that will probably change (right?).  I have lost 22lbs with my pre-op diet and surgery so I'm happy about that.  

Would love for anyone to share stories of "it gets better...."

Thanks so much!
sourcherriex
on 10/19/11 2:06 am - CA
 Try asking your dr about liquid prilosec - it's prescription only and while it probably won't be covered by insurance, the cash price is only $11 per fill. :) My pharmacist says it's the only one that comes in liquid form.
 ~Marisa~

dawn S.
on 10/19/11 2:10 am - NJ
I was done on the 11th and take a tiny pill called Protonix.  Its working well, just started on soups yesterday with some bland watery farina today.. which tasted awesome LOL Is it 4 weeks post op on liquids??  What kind? maybe choose more clears?
  HW: 245  SW:225.5  GW:165

shellemac
on 10/19/11 2:19 am
Thanks for the replies...

Is the liquid prilosec any different than the pill form?  I can take the pill form, it just doesn't really help that much.

I have tried every PPI on the market.  Nexium by far is the best for me, but not on my formulary and I can't afford the $150 a month.  Again Zegerid does pretty well, but is too large at this stage.

I am on full liquids for about 2 more weeks.  I'm hoping when I start eating thicker foods it will help with acid to stay down more and help with the "hunger."

sourcherriex
on 10/19/11 2:37 am - CA
I am told it's the same thing but you do have to take it more often - twice a day instead of once. My pharmacist says sleeved tummies might absorb it better.
 ~Marisa~

Elaine2
on 10/19/11 2:32 am - Atlanta, GA
I'm probably showing my ignorance but I don't know what "not on my formulary" means.
Unless it means---not on your insurance coverage list?

I just wanted to show you this discount site for Nexium in case it helps.
http://www.purplepill.com/taking-nexium/purple-plus-savings- card.aspx

Anyway, hope you get this figured out. I developed reflux after surgery but have been able to get it under control.

You're doing great getting in your fluids and protein...and yes, each day gets better.  Good luck.

Lisa J.
on 10/19/11 3:28 am - OK
Yes, a formulary is the term for insurance coverage regarding their pharmaceutical list.

....and it gets shorter and shorter all the time. ;-)
Lisa J
HW: 277   Day of Surgery: 234    CW: 161 Goal: 135 sounds good but....? Who knows!

HW/277   EVAL/260  PREOP/246  SURGERY DAY/243   CW/162 1/3/2011
2muchfluff
on 10/19/11 4:43 am
 Hope you get your PPI problem sorted out, but yes, when you get to eat some solid food, it will be far more satisfying.  I can still remember clearly how satisfying it was to have some pureed soup.  I thought I was in heaven!  It will definitely get better as you are able to eat more foods.  Hang in there!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 268 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views