What type of "weird" rules does your doctor have?

vacationlover
on 10/19/11 11:10 pm
Based on what I've been reading here over the last almost-year, it sounds like differents doctors and nuts have different dietary rules.

Just for fun, what is the one "rule", that  your doctor has that you think is the silliest?

Mine is:  You can have up to 3 snacks a day, but they must all be milk (protein powder can be added).  (Now, I'm a person who still gets hungry, and having just proteiny milk as my snack was HORRIBLE!!  I was starving during the 6 hours between my meals!!  I talked to you guys, and my NUT, and based on that, decided to have solid protein snacks instead of 2 of the milks...). 

CW: 130ish HW: 264 SW:254 Hgt: 5'2

Goals-Dr:159-MET Mine:140-MET!!! Final Goal: 135-MET!!!!!

W4:-22 W8:-11 W12:-10.5 W16:-12 W20:-11.5 W24:-9.5 W28:-8 W32:-7.5 W36:-8 W40:-7.5 W44:-5 W48: -4.5 1Yr/W52: -7

USAF Wife
on 10/19/11 11:26 pm
Honestly, none. The plan was so basic and easy to follow that I had zero issue following it.

Luckily, my surgeon didn't make things complicated nor have any rules that seemed absurd.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

RhondaLynn
on 10/20/11 12:59 am
I am still pre-op. My surgery is November 2.  I started my 2 week liquid protein and high protein diet yesterday.

One "rule" that the doctor and NUT has is no caffine.  now I don't drink regular caffinated stuff I drink decaf tea and coffee.  I realize that they still have a small amount of caffine but gee whiz!!  the Nut is a nazi about drinking decaf tea!!! I just go along with them and still drink my decaf tea.  I do drink lots of "other" water to offset it. 

Maybe after surgery I will understand why, but now I do not and that is the ONLY rule I am not following!

Rhonda
George B.
on 10/20/11 2:39 am - Miami, FL
Rhonda,

I was given coffee in the hospital.

When I asked my doctor, pre-op, if I had to give up coffee he looked at me strangely and said, "only if you want to."

I've had 2-4 cups of regular coffee daily since surgery and haved been great!

George

J.e.t.
on 10/20/11 1:07 am
 I can't think of any weird rules.  He does want us to keep our calories under 600, which seems less than almost everyone else's I've seen.  Luckily for me at this point that's no problem.  
HW 263, 3lbs lost prior to surgery,  weight loss ticker is since surgery.

(deactivated member)
on 10/20/11 3:07 am
I am a bit surprised by the low calories.  Do you mean to stay under 600 until goal, or until a particular time frame?  I ate under 600 calories for the first 4-5 months, but then I increased my calories because the sleeve had healed and the inflammation went down, and I could eat more food comfortably.  I still stayed under 800 until goal.  I thought our two doctors has similar programs.  My doctor did not mind that I ate fewer calories as long as I got my protein in every day.  So I guess it is not that dissimilar.
J.e.t.
on 10/20/11 12:41 pm
 How did I miss this?  Sorry!  Yes, that's the only real difference I've noticed between the two programs.  His plan does say that you may need to increase the calories if you are increasing exercise.  

I'll see if I can find the exact language.
HW 263, 3lbs lost prior to surgery,  weight loss ticker is since surgery.

RhondaLynn
on 10/20/11 2:44 am
Thanks George,  The reason they say is because "caffine will dehydrate you".  I could understand if I was drinking gallons of caffine but decaf coffee and tea surely won't have that big of impact. 

Like I said.. I am going to follow all rules but this one, after surgery I may have to eat my words!!hahaha!!!

Rhonda
(deactivated member)
on 10/20/11 3:38 am
I haven't seen my Drs office since last June.  At 3 months the staff in the office wanted to do additional liver testing.  I have a hepatologist and he takes care of my liver issues.  I told the office no and they did not give me an appt to go back to see them.  Now understand that there is no Dr in this office, the Dr stays at the hospital and does surgery all day and the PA does all the pre and post op .  I went to see my Hepatologist and told him what was going on and he sent them a letter telling them he had my liver issues under control.  A week later the surgeons office called me and said very plainly they wanted to schedule me for some liver tests over at the hospital.  I told them no and have never heard from them again.  I don't make a follow up appt because I don't want to be cornered again.  I have never had them ask me how my diet was progressing, never had them comment on my weight loss, and the PA didnt even know what kind of surgery I had!  I thought the Dr himself was wonderful but his staff leaves a lot to be desired.  So at this point I have no idea how my vitamins and minerals are doing etc.  I think I will talk to my PCP and ask them to do bloodwork to follow up.
Hislady
on 10/21/11 2:47 pm - Vancouver, WA
Rhonda I just read an article that said all that nonsense about caffiene dehydrating you and increasing your appetite is purely hogwash. Only if you did not drink coffee regular before would it have that effect and even then it would be such a small impact that it wouldn't even matter. I'd die without my coffee, it's the only sinful food left.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 317 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views