My coworkers after surgery

ib40
on 10/27/11 2:12 pm
I have read many posts about dealing with coworkers and their invasive questions, nasty comments, etc. I just wanted to tell everyone that my experience was very different.

I work part-time, and I told only a few people about my surgery. I only stayed out of work a week, so I wasn't gone for long, and many people didn't even realize that I had surgery. Some coworkers are good friends, and some a simply acquaintances. My gastric surgery wasn't a secret and I tell people when they ask why I had surgery, etc. I'm sure some of the people I told initially have now told others, and I'm okay with that.

But I have to say that my coworkers have been so wonderful! In 5 weeks, I've lost 28 lbs. They tell me regularly that I'm wasting away. This makes me laugh because I'm still over 200 lbs. Many comment positively on my weight loss. They make a point to tell me how happy they are for me and give me compliments.

Instead of sabotaging me with Halloween candy, they give me goodie bags with beef jerky and yogurt. Several of them are urging me to start exercising with them before, during, or after work. I'm just overwhelmed by the encouragement and love that I've received. I just want people to know that there are a lot of positive people out there who will support you in your journey to become half the person you used to be. Best of luck to all of you!
(deactivated member)
on 10/27/11 2:17 pm
Wow awesome!! I too had a positive response, although I'm still regularly fending off cookies and cake

They call me the shrinking woman
SassyItalian
on 10/27/11 2:31 pm - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
wow thats refreshing from the usual coworker posts.

glad you have so many supportive and encouraging folks at work

there is hope!

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

lanunes
on 10/27/11 6:35 pm - CA
 My co-workers were positive as well. I have a very physical job and have to lift animals on a daily basis (Vet) and they are always making sure I don't lift anything (which makes me happy ). I do notice that nobdy really asks how much weight I have lost. I get random comments like "your so small" or you need new scrubs. I sometimes feel like people feel they will offend you if they ask how much weight I have lost. Anyhow, all in all a good experieince. 
      Leslie Nunes              
(deactivated member)
on 10/27/11 9:29 pm
precious_diamond38
on 10/27/11 10:38 pm - VA
MOST OF MY COWORKERS WERE REALLY HAPPY FOR ME ...SOME SAY YOUR GETTING A WAIST, OR LOOK AT YOU YOUR FACE IT IS SO SMALL.. BUT THERE ARE STILL A FEW WHO ARE JEALOUS FOR NO DANG ON REASON DONT EVEN TALK OR SPEAK... LIFE GOES ON AND I WILL CONT TO DO ME ...
HollyLaLa
on 10/27/11 11:37 pm - NJ
VSG on 03/08/11 with
 When I "came out" to my coworkers that I was going to have weightloss surgery I was pretty apprehensive about how they would react.  For the most part they were supportive, some where concerned about my decision thought it may have been too aggressive for a first step.  I explained that it was not a first step or a decision without a great deal of thought,  research and planning as well as I explained all of my previous unsuccessful attempts at weightloss and how my excess weight was effecting my health and happiness.  My coworkers and bosses have been absolutely wonderful.  Not a day goes by that I do not receive a comment of encouragement or amazement from them.  They are so happy for me and I am so grateful to work with such a great crew of people.  In fact, our department has been referred to as the "shrinking" department because a few others are also making changes to reduce and improve through diet and exercise.  In addition when I did my 2 week preop shakes two of my coworkers did shakes with me!  I am blessed and loving my sleeve!

Be well everyone!   Happy Halloween! 

Nothing worth having comes easy.  Success comes with hard work and determination and sacrifice!   

ROCK ON!             
vacationlover
on 10/28/11 12:17 am
I am open about my surgery, and all of my coworkers and friends have been supportive post-surgery.  I had one close friend who was worried about me beforehand (her aunt died from complications of the RNY), but she has been supportive now.

I should note that I told about 20 people beforehand, and the rest I have just told as part of conversation, usually after they have commented on my weightloss :)  Once they know, they offer up encouragement, or ask questions about the surgery itself, what I can eat, etc...  

CW: 130ish HW: 264 SW:254 Hgt: 5'2

Goals-Dr:159-MET Mine:140-MET!!! Final Goal: 135-MET!!!!!

W4:-22 W8:-11 W12:-10.5 W16:-12 W20:-11.5 W24:-9.5 W28:-8 W32:-7.5 W36:-8 W40:-7.5 W44:-5 W48: -4.5 1Yr/W52: -7

Krazydoglady
on 10/28/11 12:43 am - FL
Thanks for the positive co-worker post.  My experience has been similarly positive.  I think, generally, that's true for most people. Congrats on your sleeve and your positive start!

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

sunnymicki
on 10/28/11 12:49 am
I am so glad you are having a good experience!  And I think its a good message to send!

I'm not back at work yet, but I did share with my co-workers that I was having WLS when they asked why I'd be on leave, and while some people had concerns and questions, most everyone was upbeat with me and most were of the "I'm so excited for you!" tone.  They even sent me a card after my surgery that everyone signed.

I'm sure there are people who are not so nice and will say or have said something mean behind my back.  Probably the same people who might have made snide comments behind my back about being obese in the first place.  But that's life.  People talk and not everyone is nice.  Its just a big relief to me not to have to hide anything.

5'9" All weight lost post-op. Goal weight determined by body composition testing.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 65 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 247 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 314 views