First week with no loss

ib40
on 10/31/11 3:23 am
I am seven weeks out and just had my first week of no loss. I was hoping not to lose momentum this soon, but I guess my body needs to make some adjustments. I do need to up my fluid intake a bit, so I'm going to concentrate on that this week.

I lost 27.4 lbs. during the first six weeks, and today I stepped on the scale and actually "gained" .2 lbs. Not what I was planning to see. I had surgery at 236 lbs., so I don't have as much as some to lose--if I ever take the time to figure out how to add a ticker, I'll do that.

I track my weight loss and measurements on a spreadsheet (I like to create charts! LOL), and I do think I'll see my measurements change although my weight loss so far this month has only been about 5.4 lbs.

This is a pretty stressful time for me. I had surgery and one week later, closed on a new house. We have been moving (SLOWLY! grrrrr) out of our old house and into the new one, but maintaining two residences and trying to sell one, while still keeping up with three kids, and my job, has been a bit overwhelming. I wouldn't be surprised if this weight stall wasn't stress-related.

Sorry for the long post, just needed to get all of this out on electronic paper so I could work it out in my head as well.
Soosy
on 10/31/11 3:47 am - TX
I've bounced around between 219&222 for about a week. And this morning I was 217... However, some jeans I bought two weeks ago are already baggy and needing a belt... So I know things are changing! I also notice sometimes I feel bloated or swollen in the evenings especially in my midsection. Usually it's the feeling that my bra is too tight when it didn't feel that way earlier in the day!

Anyhow, all that to say, just do what you've been doing! Focus on fluids and proteins and vitamins and you'll be fine!

I'm getting nervous about the hair loss stage... Saw your response on an earlier post about that!
~Susan
http://samesoosy.blogspot.com
VSG: September 13, 2011   HW:285    SW:253

Happy966
on 10/31/11 4:20 am, edited 10/31/11 4:20 am

I had this happen in week 8.  Do not despair!  It is very common, and I definitely got smaller during weeks 7 and 8, when I lost only 2.6 pounds total.  For week 9, I was down 3.4 lbs.  You're not losing momentum yet. 

I need to be more invested in the process, and less in the outcome.  For me, healthy eating by following my food plan, drinking my fluids, taking my vitamins, exercising - that is the process and doing these things consistently is more valuable than getting to goal. 

How much weight I am losing is exciting data, but I can't get too emotionally attached to it or I can derail myself if it doesn't meet my expectations.

Editted to correct typo.

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

ib40
on 10/31/11 4:42 am
So true, Happy. I need to be more invested in the process as well. I suppose because this is such a visible, results-oriented surgery, it is difficult not to get sidetracked by numbers.

I think it is worse this week because I'm dealing with a lot of head/emotional hunger. Halloween candy has been particularly difficult for me--suger is a huge trigger for me and the way I have dealt with stress in the past. Not be able to do that has been difficult.

That is not easy for me to type because it sounds borderline psychotic to me. But there it is--I'm a user. I abuse the intake of sugar to deal with stress. I think the scale is just a new thing to focus on since I can't have my sugar and it is all around me.
Happy966
on 10/31/11 6:11 am

OMG, don't feel bad!!  I am a complete sugar addict.  It's not pretty.  I have to stay away from "recreational sugar" completely, or I'm driving from one store to another trying to get my next fix.  However, it's been a lot easier to just not eat the sugar than to try to figure out how to eat just a little bit.  I have never been able to exercise moderation in that area. 

I think of that sugar craving as the monkey on my back.  I can't make the monkey shut up, but I don't have to do what he says!  He is lying to me.  Candy won't help anything.  And the craving eventually passes if I don't act on it.  If I do, it just gets worse. 

Putting it down is HARD.  Especially if you are stressed.  Be gentle with yourself.  And be kind - take a bath, buy yourself a good book.  Just because it's hard doesn't mean you're not doing great!!  Hang in there!!

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 63 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 246 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 314 views