NOT APPROVED MEXICO EXPERIENCES NEEDED

katy
on 10/31/11 11:22 am
BCBS FEDS DID NOT APPROVE SURGERY CRYING ALL DAY
ANY ONE GO TO MEXICO FOR REVISION WHAT WAS  YOUR EXPERIENCE AND HOW MUCH WAS IT.
dec721
on 10/31/11 11:44 am, edited 10/31/11 11:45 am - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
Loads of us here have gone to Mexico, and 99.9% of us had wonderful experiences.  There are many reputable Mexican surgeons, and they have been doing the sleeve much longer down there, in general, than most US surgeons have been.

I used Dr. Alvarez, endobariatric.com, and I highly recommend him.  He was wonderful, and I had a very easy surgery and recovery.  I haven't had the first problem.  Also, Drs. Aceves and Joya are top-notch.  There are others out there as well.  

Three-plus years ago, Dr. Alvarez's cost was a flat $10,000 that covered everything but my airfare into San Antonio, TX.  It is my understanding that the cost is not quite that much now.  The others are, I believe, within a couple of thousand dollars of that, give or take.

Now, all that said, I am not a revision, but many people are.  Best wishes!
--Dorothy

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/31/11 11:53 am - Tuvalu
On October 31, 2011 at 6:22 PM Pacific Time, katy wrote:
BCBS FEDS DID NOT APPROVE SURGERY CRYING ALL DAY
ANY ONE GO TO MEXICO FOR REVISION WHAT WAS  YOUR EXPERIENCE AND HOW MUCH WAS IT.

WHY did they deny?

Was this an apppeal?  Have you gone through their appeal processs?
bstacey
on 10/31/11 11:54 am
I had sleeve surgery with Dr. Rodriguez in Tijuana. I paid 6700 but this was not a revision so I am not sure how much the difference would be. I had zero problems.

SuzanneM1
on 10/31/11 12:48 pm - NJ
Hi... Sorry about not getting approved. I am having my surgery on November 8th, 2011. My insurance does not cover bariatric surgery. Was a real let down I cried too. But my husband contacted the bariatric department at the hospital and they have a discounted rate for self pay. It is 11,000.00 . Includes the surgery, the doctors fee, the anestsia (spell check) one night in the hospital etc.

Mexico is probably half that.

Good Luck
Suzanne

Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/31/11 1:38 pm - Tuvalu

Don't go to anyone who is on a "medical tourism" site.

Don't go to anyone who makes you go through a "coordinator," they get paid by the head...if they deliver you, they get money.  If they don't, they go hungry.  Not much honest info available there.
sam30204
on 10/31/11 11:59 pm
I used Dr Aceves. He is fantastic!!!! I think I paid about 9000.00 It was worth every penny!! I hit goal at around 7 months! He is very good!

Be nice to nurses....we keep doctors from killing you!

denebbers
on 11/1/11 12:22 am - Townsend, MA
VSG on 10/13/11 with
I also went to Dr Alvarez, who does have a WONDERFUL coordinator that is very helpful. I paid 8,000 and have received better care that I ever have in the US. I would pay that over and over again, with insurance to get the kind of treatment, attention, and care that I have with Dr Alvarez.

The Dr is available to me 24 hours if I have any issues. He emails me, calls me etc sooner than any other DR I have in the US. He truly cares for you well being

Best of luck
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views