Heartburn,, help

sndeebear
on 11/1/11 12:08 am
Ok.. so I NEED some help or advice.   No matter wht I eat I get massive heartburn with sour stomach..  I havebeen using the drops my doc suggested and taking my pm tums.. yet not working..  If i drink I get it.. Now my doc said I wld get this if I over eat.. well I know im not doing that.. I eat maybe 3 bites of cottage cheese, or 2 bites of tuna.. so couldnt be that.. help.. what can I do.. I cant sleep.. cause it just sits there...

breekahouse
on 11/1/11 12:14 am
you probably need a acid blocker.  I have been taking Nexium since a few weeks post op.  I cant go more than 2 days without taking it or the acid will build up.  Newver had issues post op (besides when I was pregnant).  One of the side effects from the surgery the doc warned me about.  I can live with it....
SW: 342 lbs / CW: 175lbs / GW: 150lbs
GeeGee13
on 11/1/11 1:38 am
helloo there..
i've had heartburns almost everyday since and some days pre op... Tried many anti-acid meds but my fav is called Chooz.

It's a gum that has calcium as well and an be taken by pregnant women to reduce nausea o it really helps with other things as well such as when u feel sick from ur vits or anything..

http://heartburn.about.com/od/antacid1/a/Chooz_antacid.htm

Hope this helps, its a miracle work in my case! 

gapmom
on 11/1/11 1:40 am - TX
 My doctor recommended otc prevacid which has helped alot. I also had the sour stomach and gas x and tums did not help. With the prevacid, my appetite has returned and I am now able to eat healthy and not feel bad afterward. Good luck and hang in there.
(deactivated member)
on 11/1/11 1:45 am
Ok, clear this through your Dr.. 1st. (disclaimer there..)

#1 Tums (cal carbonate, is famous for causing rebound heartburn..) Gaviscon Extra strength liquid is better for occasional use.. 2nd.. are you pre or post-op? Most of us are Rx'd a PPI for at least 3mo after surgery, even OTC Prilosec usually works fab. Other options to try first that aren't as hard-core as PPIs are H2 blockers like Zantac. That may be all you need.. Talk to your doc about these, but skip the Tums, and at the very least try the H2 blockers like Zantac..

PPIs are fantastic (Prilosec, Nexium..) but you do have to wean off them very slowly when you decide to get off or you can sometimes get some horrific rebound acid.. weaning off them takes several weeks to months.
Birdie55
on 11/1/11 1:48 am
My surgeon has his patients take a PPI for 3 months or more.  Also, the first 3 weeks he has us take Tums too.  

Ht 5' 4  SW 181  GW 120 - 125  Age 61  CW 130

Edit   Delete          

Crystal M.
on 11/1/11 3:18 am - El Paso, TX
Here are a few more tips:

1) Do not eat at bedtime. Nothing for 2-3 hours before laying down.

2) If heartburn or acid reflux keeps you up at night, which it sounds like is the case, try sleeping partially inclined, with your head & shoulders higher than your tummy. You can either buy a wedge pillow or just pile up your bed pillows under.
Example of a wedge pillow:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Foam-Bed-Wedge-Pillow-7-1-2-High-GE7-/360406077670?pt=US_Pillows&ha****em53e9e050e6

3) Avoid certain foods that are know to trigger heartburn & acid reflux, such as citrus fruits, tomatoes, chocolate, caffeine.

It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you're not.                

ib40
on 11/1/11 3:43 am
I posted this in another thread, but my insurance is balking at paying for prescription PPIs. I paid for Protonix immediately after surgery because I felt like I needed it. They worked great. After fighting the insurance, the doc told me to try Prilosec OTC. I did and broke out in a rash head to toe. Now that is being used to get the Protonix approved by insurance. My point, I guess, is that you may have to try a few to find what works best for you and that OTC and prescription can be very similar or very different. You may have to kiss a few toads before your find your "prince."
Greg M.
on 11/1/11 9:12 am - Cincinnati, OH
Protonix went generic not too long ago, so it should be a fairly inexpensive prescription.

Lapband 12/11/08 - Slip 6/16/09 - 2nd Slip & Removal 8/3/09...Sleeve 12/22/11

Crystal M.
on 11/1/11 9:24 am - El Paso, TX
Are you sure? My doctor told me it's a fairly new drug and still very expensive.
It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you're not.                

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 162 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 437 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 458 views