What is your workout routine?

ready2Bhealthy2
on 11/6/11 1:35 am
A bicycle is definately my spring investment.
HW286/SW269/1mo-20lbs/2 mo-9lbs/3 mo-10lbs

1st Goal - Loss of 50lbs
(deactivated member)
on 11/6/11 1:06 am, edited 11/6/11 1:07 am
B. Bap
on 11/6/11 1:11 am
I am still on my 10lb restriction. I will be for 6 weeks. And I won't be cleared to do weight training until after I meet with my surgeon at my 1month appt. She did mention that lifting more that I could before I was ready could results in a hernia. I would double check with my surgeon, only because surgeons give out their recommendation based on what they did, so you may be cleared.

ready2Bhealthy2
on 11/6/11 1:26 am
I will call him on Monday.  Maybe he didn't mean I could go to the gym yet.  I don't want to hurt myself, but I so badly want to see the scale moving like everyone else.  I know that sounds silly and everyone will say I'm still swollen and healing...but seriously I can't help but compare myself.  It's hard...I know you know what I mean.  No worries, I will double check.  Either way, my fat booty will be in the gym on Tuesday doing cardio at a minimum.  Thanks chica.
HW286/SW269/1mo-20lbs/2 mo-9lbs/3 mo-10lbs

1st Goal - Loss of 50lbs
MyOwnSunshine
on 11/6/11 3:06 am
I'd focus on cardio for a few weeks just to make sure you're ready to move on.  Honestly, I've felt great since 2 weeks out, and cheated a bit with getting back in the pool before I was cleared for that, but I've been pretty cautious about weights because lifting can cause a hernia at your incision site, and no one wants to have additional surgeries.

I fully understand about wanting to do more than walking.  There's no way that I can get my heart rate up high enough with walking, and I agree that if I'm in the gym, I want my heart rate up and want to sweat and have muscle fatigue at the end of my workout. 

I worked very hard in the months leading up to surgery to develop a regular workout routine, and I didn't want to backslide after surgery.  I would advise going slow and starting with cardio for a few weeks before you add the weights in, and then after 8 weeks you can add heavy weights and ab work as well.  If you tolerate cardio, ramp up your intensity -- I did just fine with cardio and have increased my time and intensity every workout since 3 weeks out with no complications.

Good job being motivated to get back to the gym!
" I am not at all concerned with appearing to be consistent. In my pursuit after Truth I have discarded many ideas and learnt many new things."  Ghandi            
MISTERMOM
on 11/6/11 5:57 am - MD
I do 60 minutes on the recumbent bike 6-7 days per week and weight machines every other day, 3 sets 15 reps each, 25 reps on the abs. But, I am also over 8 months out.

=    
laurak712
on 11/6/11 6:30 am - New Braunfels, TX
Well I was back in the gym at 3 weeks, but it was something that my body was used to.  I've been bodybuilding since 1998.  I knew my limitations and was able to go back early.  And by the way, all the weight training didn't prevent me from needing plastics...just sayin'.  I just had round 2 of plastics on Wednesday.  Good luck and take it slow. 

Laura

Height 5' 7

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 164 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 440 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 462 views