Protein Shakes

Allison B.
on 11/7/11 11:04 pm - Canaan, ME
VSG on 01/09/12
What are y'all liking for protein shakes or supplements? Any you are completely sick of and want to get rid of? Any tips or hints?
George B.
on 11/7/11 11:13 pm - Miami, FL
Allison,

I like Muscle Milk Light ready to drink protein shakes but found them too thick and sweet. I made them better by adding 8 oz. of cold water to the 8.5 oz. serving. Adding the water reduced the thickness and cuts the sweet.

I tried several ready to drink and powdered protein mixes before I found one I could tolerate. 

The best advice I can give is make sure the store you buy them from has a liberal return or exchange policy.

Good luck,
George

Palmettosleeve
on 11/7/11 11:26 pm - Pawleys Island, SC

i like choc. peanut butter protein bars made by Pure Protein. they're pretty cheap. sold at walmart that i know of. they're 20g per bar. i cant stomach any protein shake ive tried so far

starting weight: 341, goal weight: 150, 1st goal: 250, 2nd goal: 199, final goal: 150

Paige V.
on 11/7/11 11:29 pm - Gainesville, FL
I also do bars..usually only a 1/2 a day since they can be higher carb/ calories. I also do not like shakes...makes me gag.

visit my blog at www.thenursemommy.com!
start weight-288 pre-op -5lbs month 1-23lbs month2-14lbs month 3-minus 13lbs month4-minus 12lbs month5-13lbs month 6-8lbs   GOAL-21months out after having a post-WLS baby!

Allison B.
on 11/7/11 11:39 pm - Canaan, ME
VSG on 01/09/12
I know I like the Odwalla Chocolate Super Protein drinks but my NUT says they are too high in calories (by about 50 calories) so I need to find something else.  Thanks for the help.  Keep going with the suggestions!  :)
felicity2u
on 11/7/11 11:41 pm - LA
I love the vanilla Oh Yeah protein shakes from GNC, tastes like wedding cake! They are not super thick, about the consistency of milk.  I have two a day and that gets me to 64g of protein alone.  Good luck in your search!

If you fear nothing, then you love nothing. If you love nothing, what joy can there be in life?
                       VSG-3/3/2011 HW-308 SW-298 CW-152 GW-160
                                                156LBS. LOST

scalewarfare11
on 11/7/11 11:48 pm
VSG on 08/22/11 with
My staple is the Premier Nutrition chocolate Ready To Drink (RTD) shakes that you can buy either online or at Costco.  They are 30 grams of protein and 160 calories.  As much as they are a staple for me, I sort of loathe them, and protein shakes in general.  I drink them strictly to get in the protein.

As far as powders go, I have found the Jay Robb Whey to be the most palatiable for me.  I sometimes mix them with water and sometimes with almond milk.

Regardles of the type of protein shake, at least for me, they can make me a bit nauseous.  I seem to do better with them in the AM, than late after noon, and if I drink them too fast, they make me feel strange for some reason.

They are all hit or miss.  As a pp pointed out, I'd find a place with a liberal return policy or one that sells samples so you can give a bunch of different ones a try and figure out what works best for you.  They seem to all taste different to everyone!
Blog: http://adauntingtaleofscalewarfare.com
Surgery Date:
8/22/2011
with Dr. Moazzez of Blue Point Surgical Group

rhidunn
on 11/8/11 12:36 am - Annapolis, MD
I like Jay Robb - that is kind of my go to staple.  I also like the Champion brand -- the Banana Scream is yummy.

I really hate them all mostly -- but, I found that when mixed with espresso, mil**** and SF syrup they become quite palatable.   I do caffinated espresso in the AM and decaf in the afternoon. 

Jennchap
on 11/8/11 12:50 am - CA
I drink the premier protein in chocolate from costco. No too pricy and not chalky. I wanted something ready to go. I dont have time to mix up that **** I have done slim fast off and on my entire adult life so shakes dont bother me. Ive been at goal for about 4 months and still do one a day. It helps me not have to stress about making my protein count and also allows me more calories and such for my other two meals.. which means they are yummier!!!!
HW 275   SW 229   CW 136 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 399 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 426 views