All by myself...don't wanna be....

Stronger1
on 11/8/11 10:02 pm - Charlotte, NC
Hi VSGers!!  I've been lurking quietly for months while I worked through the pre-surgery process and now I am APPROVED, I got a date, and I am incredibly excited.  I want to thank all who post here...unknowingly you have been a huge encouragement to me and have answered so many of my questions!!
Unfortunately this is a lonely process for me...I'm not going to have much help after the surgery and I am concerned about going it alone...I know I will have support the day of...but once I get home I will be by myself.  A few questions: 
-My insurance company has approved only 1 day in the hospital?? How long was your stay and would you say it was necessary?
-I don't really have much help after the surgery, anyone else have to go it alone for the first few days, and how did you handle that?
-I don't have a recliner to sleep in as I have heard many mention...how/where did you sleep?? Did you have a lot of trouble getting in/out of bed?
-How soon were you able to walk up/down stairs after surgery??

I'll probably have tons more questions, and would appreciate any responses.

hazel822
on 11/8/11 10:11 pm
 HI STRONGER1,
IM HAZEL AND I WOULD HATE FOR YOU TO GO THROUGH THIS ALONE!!! I HAVE FAMILY IN CHAROLETTE AND I KNOW SOMEBODY WOULDN'T MIND COMING TO CHECK ON YOU!!! I GET MY SURGERY NOV 22 AND I COULDN'T IMAGINE GOING THROUGH THIS ALONE! ASK ALL THE QUESTIONS YOU NEED TO FEEL SAFE. I CAN SAY ONETHING PEOPLE ON HERE IS VERY OPEN AND DO NOT MIND GIVING YOU INFO!!! PLEASE CCONSIDER GETTING SOME TYPE OF HELP!!!
HAZEL822
Stronger1
on 11/8/11 10:25 pm - Charlotte, NC
Hazel, thank you so much for the offer, that is very sweet!! I have family around but they are all going through their own issues right about now so I know if I absolutely need them they will be there, but right now I don't feel like I can burden them. My mom actually wants me to spend my first night home with her as her allergies makes it hard for her to stay with me (I have cats)...but I think I will prefer being in my own bed.
edelu
on 11/9/11 3:14 am, edited 11/9/11 3:14 am - los angeles, CA
I chose not to tell anyone about my surgery so i was alone.  I was 2 days in the hospital but that was because i was a revision.  I asked the Dr if i could go home a day early because i felt ready to but he said 2 days for revisions.  i couldn't wait to get home.  to get out of the bed took a little maneuvering but nothing extraordinary.  I had stocked up on magazines and DVDs to keep me occupied and had a grand old time.  this is generally a very easy recovery.  I did have some pain, i had a drain in for 10 days and it pulled where it was stapled to my skin.  The getting around from the refrigerator to the sofa was easy.  I did have to go to the hospital and change my medication and go to the pharmacy on day 2 and it was just fine. Since i was on painkillers i couldn't drive and i couldn't find a cab so i took the bus.  I haven't been on a city bus in 20 years. It was fine.  kinda exhausting but fine.  For me going it alone was definitely the better choice.  I'm sure it would of been hard for anyone being there.  I was kinda cranky.
MyOwnSunshine
on 11/8/11 10:14 pm
I was in the same position and I was just fine.

I had support at the hospital and a ride home, and my ex who lives across the street was available to check on me, care for my daughter and lift heavy things.  That was about it.

I went home the day after surgery.  I slept well in my own bed, went up and down the stairs and basically had no problems at all.

I think I drove myself to the grocery store on about post-op day 4, just because I was bored and wanted to get out of the house.

I didn't take any pain meds past post-op day 3. 

It was a very easy recovery and other than needing my ex to carry my groceries in for the first few weeks and change the 5-gallon water bottles for the first six weeks, I didn't need any help at all.
" I am not at all concerned with appearing to be consistent. In my pursuit after Truth I have discarded many ideas and learnt many new things."  Ghandi            
Healthier2011
on 11/8/11 10:14 pm
I was not a lone, but seriously I could have been.  I never slept in a recliner, when you get out of bed roll on your side and set yourself up slowly. 

When you are in the hospital, lay the bed flat (like your bed at home is) and work out getting in and out of bed there.  Then you know how when you are home. 

It goes without saying, stock up on your liquids and soft foods, things that are quick and easy.  I.e.  egg drop soup,  greek yogurt, high protein low carbs.  But mainly things that will help you get your strength back. 

Stairs...the rule I was told is one trip a day if you HAVE to. 

I stayed two nights - hind sight, I would have been just fine going home the day before.  If you aren't feeling like it the dr can clear it with the insurance to stay another night.  But it's not uncommon for them to tell you before hand that you only have one night. 

Keep good positive thoughts going, and when an occasional doubt pops in remember it's NORMAL!!!!
46_11tobeme
on 11/8/11 10:48 pm - NJ
I dont want to be a downer here but think you should here all sides of this. If you have nobody you have to take care of at home and can stock up on everything you need you should be OK but I would definitely have someone you can call to help you just in case. I did not have an easy time in the hospital - nausea, vomiting, pain and was there 3 days/2 nights. When I got home I was very weak (nausea made it so hard to drink) and almost passed out a few times - needed someone to help me walk to the bathroom. By 1 week out I was fine to be alone, but I did need some help beforehand. I heard about all the easy recoveries here and was not prepared for what i went through. Everyone is different and chances are you will have an easy recovery like most here - but try to set something up just in case (even if it is just to have someone on call just in case). I wish  you the best with your surgery. 

Stronger1
on 11/9/11 12:23 am - Charlotte, NC
Thank you for your response, I do appreciate hearing about both sides of things...I'm a pessimist by nature, but really trying to stay positive and hope I'm one of the "lucky" ones who have an easy recovery.
purplepeace79
on 11/8/11 10:48 pm - Bronx, NY
 First, congrats on getting a date!
I dont know why they only approved one day, but some insurance companies suck like that. I was there from Tuesday to Thursday and was sooo ready to go home, so you might be ok.
I didnt have much help after surgery either. Most of my friends live in another state and my dad was busy with work. It was ok because I took the time to myself and it helped me so much. 
I slept on my couch mostly. I dont have a recliner either. I laid on my couch propped up with pillows. It was cool, especially when the remote was nearby :)
I tried to be as mobile as possible as soon as possible. Having had a c-section before, I was ready for the post-abdominal surgery recovery. This was a bit easier than the c-section so it wasnt too bad. 
You'll be fine!
SW: 364  Surgery Date: 6.21.11 *VSG*  LifeOfANappyHeadedFatChic.tumblr.com

wls2011
on 11/8/11 10:56 pm - Ballston Lake, NY
 That's exciting news....it is very worth the process....

Many people only do 1 day, mine was 2...but I lived far from the hospital so that was part of it. A long car ride would have been difficult earlier.

I had help, but many people don't and do okay.

I never slept in a recliner...slept in my bed right away...the key is holding a firm pillow to your belly as you get in and out of bed (also rolling to the side like another poster said)....it is the worst part of pain, the getting up and down, but is doable....some recliners (like mine) would be harder to get in and out of...

Small amount of stairs can be done early out. I'd avoid long flights of stairs though. 

Alain Polynice Arm Lift & Revision BL 4/15/15

Alain Polynice Hernia Repair, Revision TT, Lipo Flanks 5/28/14

Dr. Lee Gallbladder Removal 5/28/14

Francisco Sauceda  TT & BL  6/3/13

Mitchell Roslin VSG 5/12/11

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 47 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 47 views
Expired Optifast Question