Preop diet and thanksgiving

Talmani
on 11/9/11 4:24 am - Phoenixville, PA
My date is 11/29 and my program requires a five day liquid diet - that means I will need to start on Thanksgiving. I don't think that in will be able to handle the first day as thanksgiving so I asked the RD and she said I could start earlier to get over the hunger hump.

So how long did it take in your preop diet to get over being hungry? When should I start? I was thinking the 22nd.

TIA

Nicole
newme2011-2012
on 11/9/11 4:32 am
It only took a couple of days. Do you get protien drinks also. that will help.
I am on my last day of clear liquids and for some reason I am hungier today. I think it is stress as sugery is tomorrow.
You will do fine. Just remember to drink something when you first feel hungry, water, tea, broth, protien drink.
Good luck!
Julie
  Highest weight 330 - GW 150  

RPrice85
on 11/9/11 5:23 am - MI
As long as my insurance comes through by next Monday, I will be having surgery on 11/30...so I will be on a liquid diet for Thanksgiving too! Mine is a 2 week liquid diet though!
5'5" 26yrs old HW:288, SW:253, CW:225; Lost 35lbs pre-op, Mo1: 21lbs

corimeyers24
on 11/9/11 5:49 am - TX
i had mine 11-29 last year thanksgiving was horrible for me... i took one small bite of everything even though i shouldnt have but it was so tempting.... and i had to go on the liquid diet for 2 weeks before

Jeanne T.
on 11/9/11 6:56 pm
Your not alone, my surgery date is 11/30, so I will be right with you,  I will be starting my liquid diet on the 16th, plus I get to make thanksgiving dinner for my family.  LOL that should be very interesting.  Luckily I also have a new grandaughter so I figure I can hold her while everyone else is eating.  That's my plan we'll see how it works.  Congrats on your date and we'll have to keep each other posted as to how we are doing.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!
Jeanne

(deactivated member)
on 11/10/11 1:33 am
For me, the food choice is easy.  Do you want surgery, or another high calorie meal that makes you feel good for about two hours?  I'm having surgery right before Thanksgiving, and I mourned the meal for about two seconds.

Another way to look at it is to say to yourself, "all these formerly fat people did the preop diet, and they're not any better than me."

With the surgery, failure means serious consequences.  You should view the pre--op diet the same way. Failure is not an option.
Talmani
on 11/10/11 1:48 am - Phoenixville, PA
It is an easy choice and my choice to be well prepared by understanding my situation. I have heard almost unanimously on this board that the first day is the worst so for that first day to be Thanksgiving for me would not be the best idea. I was looking for feedback as to when on your preop diet you got over the hungry so thatni could have some insight as to how I can be prepared.
CheeseLover
on 11/10/11 1:54 am
VSG on 02/16/12
I have to hand it to you folks doing this around the holidays. I don't think I could! My family are all big eaters for the holidays (imagine that) and I would have to stay alone in order to cope. Good for you!
 HW: 396 SW: 299 CW: 252 GW: 175

FINALLY BROKE THAT GOD-AWFUL STALL!!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 270 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views