question about cost

Ashley H.
on 11/10/11 12:05 am - Brownwood , TX
VSG on 03/01/12
I live in Texas and have Atena as my insurance.  I have already been pre-qualified for the sleeve.  I was just wondering if anyone knew a round about number on how much the procedure will cost me.  I was told my deductible is $550.00 with a maximum out of pocket of $3000, but some of my other friends that had the surgery said (they have same insurance as me) that they only paid like $1500 for the whole ordeal.  Anyone else mind sharing their fees and cost for the surgery. Just trying to have an idea how much i need to set aside.  My surgery wont be till in late May due to insurance 6 month rule.  . 
dailey1456
on 11/10/11 12:13 am
 my place would have required the 550 deductible after I paid my deductible that's when insurance locked in and paid whatever % was in my plan... then once i meet the max out of pocket it would pay it 100% i have to pay $190 for my surgeon and assistant, $455 for the rest of my out of pocket... I have BCBS OK
Vanessa A.
on 11/10/11 12:17 am - FL
i had a $500 fee for the surgeon, the $200 for the Nut, then my deductible for the insurance was $400 and they cover 90% of my surgery so im guessing about $2000.00 more for the hospital.

God grant me with the serenity to accept the things i cannot change ;  Courage to change the things that i can ;  and the wisdom to know the difference!!!

babystacie
on 11/10/11 12:29 am - TN
 I have Aetna and my dedec is 750 and max 4000 out of pocket and it has cost me the max out of pocket. So plan on at least the $3000
SkinnyJeansSoon
on 11/10/11 12:39 am
I was denied by insurance and paid 13k...ouch!

(VSG - 10/20/2011)
HT: 5'9

kanga003
on 11/10/11 12:51 am
I "lucked out"... I had already met my deductible for the year with another surgery... my insurance has an $800 out of pocket max, not including co-pays for office visits and prescriptions....

I also had to pay $415 for the required Psych stuff... you have to use their doctor and he does not accept insurance... period.

LOTS of co-pays, but that was it.  All in all it probably cost me under $1,000... I know I was lucky!!!
Ashley H.
on 11/10/11 1:22 am - Brownwood , TX
VSG on 03/01/12
Thanks everyone! This helps.  I have my $3000 put away so now I wonder when I should start putting away money for new clothes!!! cant wait till my surgery date!
babzmcgee
on 11/10/11 8:33 am
 I paid $1500 deductible and everything after that was covered except the upper GI after surgery, I believe. Make sure the hospital you use is in network! Mine wasn't but they agreed to only charge me the in network fees.
OH Support Group Leader

(deactivated member)
on 11/10/11 10:52 pm
 Check with the doctor office. After my deductible, labs, psyc eval, NUT, deposit for hospital & surgeon I had already dropped $1300. After surgery I received a bill from the hospital for $993 as well as a bill from surgeon for $973. All of this totals to well over my $2000 max out of pocket. To top all this off, I have now received a bill from the surgeon assist for $12773. Yes you read that correctly. According to the doctor office and insurance I reached the max allowable for surgery and I will be responsible for the charges. Needless to say I am fighting these charges. There is no reason for me to get a bill for more than it would have cost to be a self-pay patient. 

I have BCBS trs active care,Tx with 80/20 coverage; $500 deductible & $2000 max out of pocket. Call the insurance company for specifics. Own a more personal note, iam so glad I had the surgery. I may have chosen a different route but I would have it. Again. One of the best decisions of my life. 

Crystal M.
on 11/10/11 11:16 pm - El Paso, TX
Do you have Aetna PPO or HMO? It makes a big difference.

I also live in Texas & have Aetna (PPO). My plan has no deductible, but I pay 10% coinsurance with a $2500 annual cap on out-if-pocket expenses.

I paid $1,000 to the hospital, $200 to the doctor, and hundreds more in various bills coming in from miscellaneous places (anesthesiaologists, path labs, radiologists, etc). It's been over two months and I'm still getting bills in the mail; I got another yesterday for $814!

It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you're not.                

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 317 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views