Anyone have problems with milk?

ctwoman
on 11/13/11 7:41 pm
Hello All!  I am 2 weeks post-op today!  I am still on liquids at this point as per my doctor's orders.  A week after surgery I was able to incorporate milk, my paperwork stated that some people have problems with milk after surgery...well I happen to be one of those people and am wondering if anyone else has or has had this same issue.  30 or so minutes after drinking milk my insides are grumbling and growling and then I am running to the bathroom.  I am guessing this is lactose intolerance now.  Will this be all milk and dairy products or will I have to test it out and see what my body will allow and what it won't?  Will now last forever or will my body eventually recover?  I will be asking my doctor these questions on Friday when I see him but I was wondering if any of you "long-timers" can share your experiences....Thanks!
HW 315 - Lapband 11/7/07 Lapband emergency removal 3/17/11 -weighed 159
VSG Pre-op diet 10/21/11 weighed 256 - Surgery on 10/31/11 weighed 239.8

katier825
on 11/13/11 8:24 pm
I was lactose intolerant prior to surgery, so I understand your problem. Try Lactaid milk or take some lactaid pills along with regular milk. Some people have this problem with other dairy foods as well. Milk and ice cream are the only things that bother me.
qbeezy85
on 11/13/11 9:21 pm
I was also lactose so anything thing milk based gives me problems. Since surgery i have found that Silk Soy milk is wonderful or try Lactaid Milk.
intothehaze
on 11/13/11 9:28 pm
 If you have an HEB near you try Moopotia.

Mike

VGS Date: 8/15/11    
Age: 34 | Ht: 5' 11" | HW: 380 | Pre-op: 363 | SW: 300 | CW: 199.3 | GW: 190 
Crunchy As Can Be
on 11/13/11 9:35 pm - NY
I was vegan before surgery and was lactose intolerant by default. I bought store-brand lactaid chewable pills and ate a few of them before I had any dairy products and within a couple of weeks I was good to go.
 ~~Emily~~

denebbers
on 11/13/11 11:35 pm - Townsend, MA
VSG on 10/13/11 with
i was not lactose intolerant prior to surgery. the last few days i've had coco w whole milk and latte's and 20 mins later i feel like im going to die!! cramps, sweat, nausea and RUN to the bathroom. this sucks! i loooove milk I do eat string cheese, babybel cheese w/o any side effects though. i say give it a try and see what works.

Best of luck
Crystal M.
on 11/14/11 1:12 am - El Paso, TX
Lactose intolerance is very common ~ and usually temporary ~ shortly after surgery. Give it a few weeks. Either avoid dairy (use soy milk instead of cow's milk) or use LactAid. It happened to me a week or two after surgery. I avoided dairy for about 3 weeks, and it passed. I'm a little over 2 months out and can now drink milk again.
It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you're not.                

Ms Shell
on 11/14/11 1:53 am - Hawthorne, CA
I believe I WAS lactose intollerant before surgery.  Either way milk and ice cream do me something TERRIBLE.  I use Almond Milk, Coconut Milk, Soy Milk and Hood Calorie Countdown as my milk.  Going on 4 years and still can't tolerate it.

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

Crystal M.
on 11/14/11 7:39 am - El Paso, TX
Good point. If you're lactose intolerant before surgery, the surgery will not cure it. But if you're like me and never had a problem with dairy until right after surgery, then the lactose intolerance will likely be temporary.
It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you're not.                

Ms Shell
on 11/14/11 8:16 am - Hawthorne, CA
Yeah I don't KNOW that I was because I drank Milk and ate cereal with milk etc and I don't REMEMBER having discomfort...but either way

MS Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 126 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 359 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 405 views