how do you mix it

Ashley H.
on 11/15/11 11:37 pm - Brownwood , TX
VSG on 03/01/12
OK so my doctor wants me to start with protein shakes now.  He said to have one for breakfast for the next two month as well as for a snack and then in January to start having two shakes for meal supplements so I will be ready in March for surgery.  My question is what are the best shakes and how do you make them.  In a blender or shake them up.  I did the powder slim fast once and HATED the clumpy feel in my mouth.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks. 
hanset
on 11/15/11 11:43 pm - marcus hook, PA
if you have a GNC or some time of store like that around you they have these cups that has a wire ball in it all you do is closed the lid and shake!!
~~Traci~~~        
RhondaLynn
on 11/15/11 11:44 pm
Hey Texan...
I am a transplanted Texas myself!!

I am 14 days post op today!  I had to do the liquid diet for 2 weeks before surgery and when I mixed the poweder with milk it just was yuk..  I bought a blender bottle (walmart ??)  and it has  a wire ball lin the middle to help blend.  I also found that if I used 1% chocolate milke it tasted soooo much better. 

I am still using the blender bottle with the wire ball to mix my shakes, I also bought a bullet type 1 serving blender and it blends really well, I used it alot before surgery but after I found that If I used the electric blender thing I got too much air in the mixture and it gave me even more gas so I BURPED ever MORE!!!

Now I don't use the electric blender at all, just the one with the wire ball.

Rhonda
(deactivated member)
on 11/15/11 11:44 pm - Overland Park, KS
Hi, 

I ordered a sampler pack from Unjury and they are SO good and versatile! They are powdered, but mix well. Also, I bought a Blender Bottle - that's the name of it, at a Kroger here and have used it many times. It requires no electricity so you can blend up your drink and go without a mess. It has a snap-lid and you can drink right out of it. Very useful and does a wonderful job. I also have a Ninja that I am going to use to do smoothies in. You can get them for about $40-$50 now. 

My surgery is this Friday and I just started ordering a few samples here and there to taste, but I found that Unjury was really nice. Also, I liked EAS ready to drink but they are pricey and watery and not as versatile. bariatricchoice.com (I think that's what it is) will also send you free samples - no shipping. Haven't received mine yet, so I can't say what they taste like. 

Good luck to you!!
katier825
on 11/15/11 11:45 pm
Walmart sells the shaker with the wire ball also. In the aisle with the protein powders.
Mutha24Boyz
on 11/15/11 11:45 pm - NY
I am pre-op also and so far I have tried GNC Isolate 28 in chocolate and cookies and cream and they both are palatable. I also have the GNC brand Extreme 60, but I only use one scoop with 8 oz. of unsweetened vanilla almond milk in the little shaker cup with the metal ball. They dissolve pretty easily and are not clumpy or chalky. Don't buy crazy amounts though because I've been told that your taste buds will change post op. Try and find single serve packets so you can try the various brands and flavors first. I have also heard good things about Unjury and Nectar, but have yet to try those two. Just make sure that the carb content is not too high less than 5 per serving is great, and they should have 25+ gm of protein per serving. Good luck, and welcome to "the journey"!

I am 29 years old. 5' tall HW 247 SW 241 Pre-Op 226 Tentative Goal 130
www.theinkdiva.blogspot.com
tillmadd
on 11/15/11 11:49 pm - WI
I purchase EAS protein shakes from Walmart/Sams because they are good and cheap...I found this link on this board 5 minutes ago and bookmarked it right away. These recipes will keep you very busy...I have tried some and the are delicious.  I have a regular cheap blender to puree my solids, and I just bought a shake blender from GNC for $18 it comes with 2 shake bottles and makes perfect smoothies! Hope this helps!!! Best of luck to you.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4459503/ENORMOUS-serio usly-ENORMOUS-Protein-Drink-List/
HW 314    SW 297 Thanks for the season Packers! 15-2!!
**CW 234 month 1-23 month 2-14 month 3-13 month 4-11 

Ashley H.
on 11/16/11 12:22 am - Brownwood , TX
VSG on 03/01/12
Thanks everyone! I have a ninja but I was worried about the air getting in the drink  after surgery.  Guess I will need to go look for a shaker bottle.  I heard GNC lets you bring back pwoders in 30 days if you dont like? 
(deactivated member)
on 11/16/11 4:23 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
!!SAVE THE RECEIPTS!!

And yes, with the receipt, both GNC and Vitamin Shoppe will let you *trade out* your unliked protein shake for another flavor/brand. 
SkinnyJeansSoon
on 11/16/11 12:29 am
My shaker bottle from GNC doesn't get all of the "grit" out of the protein. I use a one from walmart and is a mixer with a bottle and actually mixes it right in the bottle so you can measure your ounces. It is a lifesaver and was only $29.

The only shake I can stand is a Peanut Butter, Banana, skim milk and Unjury Protein Powder (Choc or Unflavored).

I mix 1/2 cup skim milk, 1 inch banana, 1 tbls peanut butter & protein powder in my blender. I usually mix this liquid part for about 1 minute to get it all blended up pretty well. I then add ice cubes until I get to the desired thickness. I end up with around a 8-12 oz shake and it is super yummy.

Here is a pic of the blender by oster for $29. I use it for EVERYTHING from making pureeds, to shakes and mushies. I also use it to chop, dice and blend for homeade salsas. I also bought an extra bottle for it also in case one was in the dishwasher.

(VSG - 10/20/2011)
HT: 5'9

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 316 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views