Runny nose, full signal, or what else?

wls2011
on 11/17/11 3:04 am - Ballston Lake, NY
Hi everyone...

I read a lot on here about a runny nose being a full signal...and never really experienced that regularly...early on...once or twice my nose started to run after a few bites, so I stopped eating.

Lately, I take my first bite of food and my nose starts to run....so it can't be a full signal....any theories as to what else it could be??

I'm curious if others have had runny nose from eating....and those that believe it to be a full signal, and those that think it may be something else connected to our surgeries somehow. 

For now, I'm just continuing to eat my measured and scheduled meal.....I just blow my nose. LOL.

Alain Polynice Arm Lift & Revision BL 4/15/15

Alain Polynice Hernia Repair, Revision TT, Lipo Flanks 5/28/14

Dr. Lee Gallbladder Removal 5/28/14

Francisco Sauceda  TT & BL  6/3/13

Mitchell Roslin VSG 5/12/11

Mandi E.
on 11/17/11 3:06 am - Kissimmee, FL
It is my trigger that my stomach is either not in the mood or the food I'm eating is to dense and I need to chew more. I get the runny nose then then when I start to sneezy I know I've gone to far....

Best of luck to you!  
xoxo~Mandi
"I don't mind living in a man's world, as long as I can be a woman in it!" ~Marilyn Monroe
 HW:422LBs Pre-op:394LBs SW:391.6LBs CW:303LBs GW:190LBs (5'10")
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

slimpickins5280
on 11/17/11 3:12 am - CO
I get this "I DARE you to eat one more bite" feeling. When I do, I either get hiccups or I start coughing. I also get this really bad pain in my back right between my shoulder blades.

I tend to stop at the "I DARE you" warning because then I just feel full and not in pain.

My hubbylicious noticed that I push my plate away with a sort of digusted look on my face and it happens about the same time as the "I DARE you."

Don't know if that counts, but it's definitely my off switch.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

wls2011
on 11/17/11 3:24 am - Ballston Lake, NY
 Thanks for your input....it really is interesting....and I know a lot of people do experience this and I've only heard of it as a full signal...

For me, it has happened now with yogurt and protein shakes, so definitely not limited to dense protein. And more frequently the last couple of weeks.....again, I'm due for my food intake, and it happens after the first bite, so I can't be full....

Any other opinions and/or experiences? 

I wonder how common this runny nose thing really is.....

slimpickins5280
on 11/17/11 3:33 am - CO
Well, I know from my very long experience with severe allergies that things not going down all of the way - getting stuck in your throat - can cause runny noses. I wonder if you have mucus in your throat and you don't realize it.

You might try Simply Saline or some other saline nasal spray before you eat.They can actually losen up some of the gunk that might be in your throat as well as clean out your nose. I'd wait a good 15 minutes after using them to eat because they tend to make your nose more runny.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

LollyOlly
on 11/17/11 3:49 am - NJ
Well now you have me thinking...

I get the runny nose thing and it doesn't always coincide with feeling full, but it does happen after what I consider to be a decent size portion.  So sometimes I can eat the same thing but in different portins when the nose goes wild.  

I wonder if that means that eatiang when the tummy is not yet ready for the next meal?

davjon2010
on 11/17/11 4:46 am
I cannot speak to the runny nose as much as I can speak to the full feeling too soon. I find that my restrictions vary througout the day. And if I do get the 'too full' feeling it is usually gas. I am a sneezer. If the runny nose starts or if I have to blow my nose than there is too much gas and usually I have eaten too fast. My remedy is GasX. Once I make room by reducing the gas the other syptoms seem to diminish. So it may not even be that you have eaten too much, but if the gas has taken up too much room, my tummy does care if I just drank water. It wants the gas gone. Something to consider.

Valerie K.
on 11/17/11 4:59 am - Dearborn, MI
 My full signal is i start to burp which I hate but if I keep eating and get over full the burping gets loud lol so when I start to first burp I stop eating. The other day I loved what I was eating so I kept pushing which is not good. I was so sick all most threw up was praying to the gods to make me throw up so my stomach would stop hurting so much. After 2 hours i started to feel so much better. 

Could you be just getting a cold? and with the warm foods it makes your nose run? I have no idea sorry.

My surgeon gave me the tool. Now it is up to me to use it right.

wls2011
on 11/17/11 6:38 am - Ballston Lake, NY
 Hmmm...thanks for all the responses... :)

I just am curious if there is any science behind this...why would a smaller stomach=runny nose when eating...doesn't make a lot of sense to me....

Oh well....maybe it is allergies...that is possible....and nothing to do with my tiny tummy.

dmich
on 11/17/11 8:10 am
Its funny I could not fiqure out why I had a runny nose so much. I thought it was coming from the fact that I had removed so many food items from my diet and thought maybe I had an allergy before surgery and my head was clearing out now that I wasnt eating them any more. The reason I thought that is because I had polyps in my nose that were always swollen and after surgery they are no longer swollen and blocking my nasal passages . Its just really wierd.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views