Insurance Question

stormechaser
on 11/20/11 3:00 am
DS on 06/08/17
I have an insurance question and I have posted at both the revision and RNY boards. I stay away from the DS boards.

I am FINALLY going to have health insurance in a few months. My employer uses Anthem BCBS and I heard it is a PPO.

I am going to pursue a revision, most likely to an RNY, and I am anxious to know if anyone has used this insurance with success.

Thanks!!

VSG TO DS Revision on June 8, 2017.

Surgeon: Dr. Philip Schauer at Cleveland Clinic
Current Weight: 280 lbs

Regained to: 312lbs
Lowest after VSG: 249lbs
Highest Weight ever: 330lbs

(deactivated member)
on 11/20/11 4:16 am - Southeast, TX
Not sure about the revision aspect, but I have Anthem BCBS and they were so very helpful with my approval process. I called them and got the exact requirements that they needed from me for approval before I even consulted with a surgeon. I walked in to the surgeon's office with most everything required from insurance ready for them. I had my first consultation with the surgeon on Aug. 8th and got approval and surgery in less than a month (surgery was Sept. 7th)
onemoretry
on 11/20/11 4:24 am, edited 11/20/11 4:26 am - GA
VSG on 03/21/12
Hi Stormchaser,

I don't currently have BCBS, but will with the new year. My employer pulled a switch-a-roo on us this year. We have had UHC forever, but agian will have Anthem BCBS in 2012. It is a ppo and here is the link they gave me regarding WLS. I could not get them to answer a lot of questions because I am not currently enrolled. I hope someone will answer, I am intrested to see the response.

www.anthem.com/medicalpolicies/policies/mp_pw_a053317.htm

ETA: I did not see becca's response when I poseted. becca, I am in the middle of a 6 month supervised diet, because I thought that is what I would need for UHC. BCBS says it just needs to be appraised, was there a certain length of time you hadto diet?

(deactivated member)
on 11/20/11 4:32 am - Southeast, TX
No length of time, although I had years worth of documented supervised diet attempts. When I asked the first time about dieting requirements, the Anthem rep told me 3-6 months, but then came back and told me the same, as long as it was surgeon appraised, but I would keep up with the supervised diet, just in case.
onemoretry
on 11/20/11 4:37 am - GA
VSG on 03/21/12
Thanks becca, that is my plan. My last visit is on Jan 29th, and I have my first consult on Jan 3rd, I will keep going until they tell me I don't have to. I am praying that things move smoothly and I can have surgery no later than March.
(deactivated member)
on 11/20/11 4:39 am - Southeast, TX
Good luck to you both
stormechaser
on 11/20/11 5:01 am
DS on 06/08/17
Thank you both soooo much!!!

you know, I am just gonna keep my butt on this forum b/c I get nowhere at the other ones. DS boards are filled with hateful people (cough, DianaCox, cough) and the the revision, failed wls and rny boards just don't seem to have what I am looking for.

I am going to get started on weigh****chers just to cover myself in case the 6month diet is required. I am tired of the waiting game and I want to put all the effort I can into this. I don't want to fail another surgery.d

Thanks again :)

VSG TO DS Revision on June 8, 2017.

Surgeon: Dr. Philip Schauer at Cleveland Clinic
Current Weight: 280 lbs

Regained to: 312lbs
Lowest after VSG: 249lbs
Highest Weight ever: 330lbs

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 92 views