Tell me I'll eat again!

Ashley D.
on 11/28/11 10:16 am
I have been on a full liquid diet for nearly two weeks and I am dying to eat something with substance!  Yesterday as my family was making sandwiches for lunch I caught myself putting dabs of mustard on my finger and licking it, it was so good!  I was just wondering what you all were able to eat once you finished the liquid diet and moved onto soft foods ...
lisa53406
on 11/28/11 10:22 am - Racine, WI
Every doctor is different. I was on soft foods a couple days after leaving the hospital. I only ate what my body would tolerate (sounded good & felt good). I asked the nutritionist about the varying plans and she said "I can't keep people from graduating to the next level themselves" I thought that was kind of an odd statement but I am sure true. I guess I would rather know the truth and be able to better advise and manage a person than think they are doing something they weren't.

With all that said. That was my situation. Many also promote the liquids for whatever healing purposes. You are accountable to your medical team and its best to stick with the plan!

Good luck. You will make it through. We all do!

HW: 399   SW: 380    CW: 305   GW: 150  
mythreechildren2001
on 11/28/11 10:32 am
Every dr has a different plan...very different.  I was on soft foods when I left the hospital, but it was a few days before I even wanted to try anything.  Yogurt was the first food I tried.  I also had sf jello.  A week post op I had refried beans from taco bell.  I also had pinto beans and I was allowed cornbread too.  That same day I ate a little string cheese.  At 2 weeks post op I had tried a bit of banana, meatloaf, a little peanut butter, eggs,etc.  All were on my dr's plan.  When does your dr allow you to start experimenting?

50 y/o female 5'6" HW 283 current 160 goal 150

amberk82
on 11/28/11 10:38 am
I know exactly how you feel...I actually posted something similar to this about a week ago...I started soft foods today!! I had some shrimp and I had some roast beef lunch meat that was soaked in beef consome with some onions sauteed in it too with swiss cheese on top....I can have: melba toast, toasted bread, mashed potatoes, pudding, applesauce, soft cooked vegetables, ground turkey, deli shaved lunch meats, low fat cheeses,....anything soft, You will get there!!!

soulsister
on 11/28/11 10:42 am - NY
I'm on pureeds right now. My favorite food is a ground sirloin patty (1/2) with some gravy to moisten. I use my mini chopper.

I alo have a very weird concoction: 1/2 cup cottage cheese w/ a tsp of ken's chicken wing marinade. It tastes like chicken wing dip.

I never would have even thought about eating this pre-op!
Ashley D.
on 11/28/11 10:48 am
I go for my two week check-up on Wednesday morning (the earliest appointment because I want to eat breakfast immediately afterwards!).  From my understanding, he starts the soft diet at two weeks.  Although they did tell me to try some mashed potatoes for Thanksgiving (just one week out); I tried it and did fine with it but since then I can't get my mind off of it!  I'm anxiously looking at "soft diet" foods and can't wait till Wednesday!
LaToya S.
on 11/28/11 10:55 am - Edwardsville, IL
I feel the same way as you do! I get to put acutal food in my mouth two weeks after surgery. I have all the dates marked on my calendar for when my food choices change. Right now I really want some chicken noodle soup with some crackers crumbled up in it.

We can do this!

LaToya
www.youtube.com/user/lmscrogg

Twitter: @ScrogginsFamily  

theshrinkingmimi
on 11/28/11 10:59 am
YOU WILL EAT AGAIN!!!!

Believe me, I had a countdown to each food phase. I put the start of each phase in my calendar. Chewing is a wonderful thing- highly under-rated.  You will be fine. 

When I could finally eat a salad, my friend watched me with her mouth open in amazement. I didn't care about the roll on the table. It was a complete reversal of food priorities. That was the best lettuce, onion, and cheese ever!  

I don't remember what I ate at food stages, but hang in there. This too shall pass.
Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
Jessica O.
on 11/28/11 11:11 am - Ann Arbor, MI
My surgeon put me on stage 3 puréed foods when I left the hospital 4 days after surgery. My problem is, I feel too sick to eat or drink anything.
Mermaid7
on 11/28/11 11:56 am
Wow! I too am on a two wee\k liquid diet. I cannot believe how different everyone's plan is. My doctor has me on liquid for two wee\ks then mushies for another two
, then I can have fish. I saw I don't get to have raw veggies until 4 mo. post op. Right now I feel like a hollow reed. My tongue is always dry. And I feel a nagging sense of discomfort when I do drink. I sure hope I get to feel somewhat normal again.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 396 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 426 views