Feeling Like I Failed My Surgery - Even After Weight Loss

Paige V.
on 11/28/11 7:25 am - Gainesville, FL
why would you think you would dump with the sleeve? I know it is therotically possible, but so rare.

visit my blog at www.thenursemommy.com!
start weight-288 pre-op -5lbs month 1-23lbs month2-14lbs month 3-minus 13lbs month4-minus 12lbs month5-13lbs month 6-8lbs   GOAL-21months out after having a post-WLS baby!

maggieandrockysmo
mma

on 11/28/11 8:42 am
Another couple of books I found helpful to get my head screwed on the right way was called The Beck Diet Solution and Shrink Yourself (also recommended by Brandylynn).  I was a former sweet addict... and sometimes can still be.  But, I also am one of those rare, rare sleevers that was blessed with dumping... and I dump on more than just sugar... like Saturday I went out to dinner with my parents for my mom's birthday... and ordered a garden salad topped with chicken (sounds pretty safe, right?)... but I ended up dumping on that (perhaps a maranade with the chicken or the cooking oil... who knows), but dumping with the sleeve is very rare.  Per my doctor, I am the only sleeve patient he has ever had with dumping and I really wish I didn't have it.  Pretty much, I stick to eating at home because I know what is in the food and what is safe...  so embrace that you don't have the dumping... trust me, you don't want it.

Patricia M.
on 11/28/11 8:46 am
Thank you for your advice! Maybe you are right that I am lucky not to have the dumping after all. Either way good luck on your journey. I hope that you are able to learn as well the things that you can eat out and enjoy safely.

BethR311
on 11/28/11 9:08 am - Fort Wayne, IN
There have been times that I have bought food like peanut butter (Jif with honey, yum) and when I found myself overeating it, threw it away. Better for me to waste $3 than take myself further down a road I've fought hard to come back from. Moderation is great, in theory.

Open yourself to possibility and possibility will present itself.
Dreamofpeace
on 11/28/11 9:21 am - Rochester, MN
Have you thought about seeing an individual therapist that deals with eating issues?   That probably helped me the most in preparing myself for surgery and cutting out sweets in the last few months. 

And, my surgeon and nutritionist both said that dumping does happen with the sleeve though it's not as prevalent as it is with the RNY.    
(deactivated member)
on 11/28/11 10:19 am
Hi Patricia,
I think you and I live in the same area. Your surgeon is only about 15 minutes from my home. I have a friend that is dealing with the same sweets addiction issue (though she is only moderately overweight)  who has been going to a hypno therapist to help her break her addiction cycle. She is having a lot of success. If you think you might be interested, PM me and I will get the info to you.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 282 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 335 views