Can't eat much...get the foamies!?

huggers33
on 11/28/11 1:32 pm - Windsor, Canada
I had my VSG done on September 22, and had a rough first 2 weeks with lots of visits to the ER and testing.  I was finally able to start eating.  For the past few weeks, whenever I eat certain foods, mainly ground turkey, really cooked good pastas, shrimp etc, about 15-20 minutes after eating, I get spit up with chunks and/or foamies.  I end up spitting out most of what I ate.  Even after eating crackers and cheese, it comes back up all compacted like I had never chewed it.
Now I am only able to eat crackers, cheese, cottage cheese and soups with no chunks.  I can't even get a protein shake in me without gaggin it back up.  I drink plenty of milk, water and juice, but fear I am not getting enough nutrient dense foods in me.
Nutrionist told me to eat what I could, but at 2 months out that doesn't make sense, I should be able to keep my foods down.  I chew them more than enough times, and can't eat more than 1/4 of food in any half hour.
I get dizzy often, my blood pressure went from being hypertensive before surgery to being too low now.  I am constantly constipated and even with the amount of liquid I do drink, the doctor is worried I don't urinate enough.  I see my family doctor in the morning, I am hoping he will do some bloodwork, and maybe be able to help with the blood pressure and BMs, but I am very concerned about spitting up all my foods.
Has anyone ever experienced this? or am I expecting too much at this stage of the journey?
mini_me_ now
on 11/28/11 2:20 pm

It might be that your eating too fast, try slowing down a bit.. you could be taking too big a bite or you have eaten just a little too much.

If its the latter of them do you get any symptom before hand like a runny nose a hic cup? If you do that is the point to stop.

and also just incase are you on a PPI?

good luck
Linda     5".4

6lbs under goal weight
                  Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

doggz109
on 11/28/11 6:30 pm - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
I think normally what you are describing happens if you eat foods your stomach isn't ready for.....too fast....or too much.  The foamies/spitting up.  Your body is rejecting it because your stomach is either not ready for that particular food......you filled your sleeve too quickly....or you simply ate too much volume for what your sleeve can handle.

Especially since you had a rough start.....it might take AWHILE to get back to eating normally.  You have to go at your body's pace....not what your mind thinks is "correct".

I see people here 5-6-7 months out that still have to really watch what they eat and many can't tolerate certain things at ALL.

Take it slow.
denebbers
on 11/28/11 10:48 pm - Townsend, MA
VSG on 10/13/11 with
This has happened to me too. As a matter of fact, i feel exactly the same way. i cant get through 1/4 of any small meal before i feel the slimmies/foamies/ stuck feeling. i have to wait to drink before eating at least 30 mins so that i make sure to have room for some kind of solid.

I know what is causing this--I DO EAT TOO FAST! i am working on eating slowly.. and i mean SLOOOWLY. it takes me 30 - 45 mins to eat abt an 1.5 oz of anything chunky (and i still feel it coming back up my throat) i really blame it on taking BIG BITES AND EATING TOO FAST.

I dont know if this is the right advice, but it has been working for me for the last few days. i will eat a baby spoonful (2 -3 within 15 min) , then i wait abt an hour and continue the rest of my meal. I guess this is what people call grazing, but at this point in time i dont really care as long as i can get some food in me (my cal intake is too low and constipation is becoming a problem). i am eating just abt every 2 hrs- small snacks or meals and that seems to keep me at 400 - 600 cals.

just a quick question.. did your dr use a 32 Bougie?
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 87 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 300 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 347 views