Excess skin - how does it affect weight, sizes, and body fat measurements?

browls0
on 12/2/11 11:03 am
Hi,

After losing 80 something pounds which I am very happy about, I now have excess skin, mostly around my lower abdomen which forms the hanging drape. I was wondering how this affects your body fat measurement. I have a body fat scale and I was wondering if anyone knew how the scale counted this skin - if it makes your fat percentage higher because it thinks it is fat? How does it affect your weight? Is there any way to know how much weight you have in excess skin? How does it affect your clothing size? I am 5'2 now 136 lbs and I wear about an 8 now. The skin is very annoying and I hoping to losing another 11 lbs. I work out about 5 times per week.
- Autumn

Krazydoglady
on 12/2/11 11:32 am - FL
Skin is comprised of both lean and fat.  Having excess skin probably doesn't impact the reading on your scale because it has both.   I"ve read PS accounts where people have 15lbs or more of skin removed during a tummy tuck.  Having said that, the smaller you are in stature, the less area of skin you have to start with. It may look the same proportionately but it will be less in absolute terms. 

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

OldMedic
on 12/2/11 3:04 pm - Alvaton, KY
Excess anythhing will affect clothing sizes.  There is NO way to tighten up that kind of excess skin (although companies make fortunes off of people that will try all of the so calle "miracle products" that don't actually work.

The ONLY way to get rid of that kind of excess skin is surgically.  Most health insurance WILL cover a Panniculectomy, which is removing the "apron" of excess skin that hangs down in front .  They will cover this because it is a significant health hazard, being a great place for fungus, etc. to grow.

This will have NO significant effect on your body fat measurements.  BUT, it CAN be a source of significant weight.  I had 15 pouds of excess skin and fat removed with my Panniculectomy!

A former Army Medic (1959-1969), Registered Nurse (1969-2000), College Instructor (1984-1989) and a retired Rehabilitation Counselor.  I am also a dual citizen of the USA and Canada.

High Weight 412 lbs.                    Date of Surgery 360.5                                 Present  170 lbs   

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 90 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 311 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 361 views