Diabetes

MsLove01
on 12/3/11 3:18 pm - WA
I have been diabetic for the last 15 years. I have taken Insulin for about half of that. During the pre-op diet I had no more than 20 carbs a day and still had to take my insulin and oral meds. Since surgery three weeks ago my blood sugar has been completely normal (80-120) without any medication at all. I am not having swings and I do not feel hypoglycemic. My surgeon said there was an 80% chance the diabetes would be cured...however I thought it was due to the weight loss, clearly it has something to do with the removal of the stomach or the way the sugar is absorbed.

Does anyone know why? Have you had the same experience? Is it permanent?
Thanks
Marlene

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 12/3/11 4:41 pm
VSG on 10/09/12
Were you a type 2 or 1 or 1.5?

I have been on oral meds since early October and that is what pushed me over the edge in deciding for the surgery. My surgeon said it is a combination of factors, the surgery itself, the removal of that part of the stomach that produces the hunger hormone, the impact on other hormones that stimulate secretion of insulin and the new messages sent to the brain which changes things. I am also hoping the "cure" will be permanent but only time will tell.

There are still many unknowns with this but let's hope that the impact is mostly positive in our lifetime.

There is also a forum here (under the list of all the different ones) for diabetes.

Good luck wirh your recovery!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

MsLove01
on 12/3/11 4:44 pm - WA
oh, thanks...I will check it out.
Greg M.
on 12/3/11 6:19 pm - Cincinnati, OH
My diabetes went into remission when I had my lapband.  I believe that there are three contributing factors 1) food goes through you much slower so regardless of what you eat you don't get that flood of sugar when carbs are digested, 2) you tend to make better food choices, namely higher protein and lower carbs, 3) overall weight loss.

Now that I lost my band due to repeated slips, I am back on diabetes meds.  I also developed trigger thumb, doc said diabetics are twice as likely for this (and other) ortho problems...and that my friends put me over the top.  Sounds silly, but I had to have a cortisone injection and wear a splint at night.  Add that to decreased kidney function, glaucoma and hypertension.

Supposedly the RNY is the only surgery that "instantly" cures diabetes.  This happens because the first several feet of intestines is were most of the sugar is metabolized.  This part of the intestine is bypassed so the sugar isn't absorbed the same way.  Ingested sugar is usually dumped.  So what the doctors noticed is that patients blood sugar was normal even before leaving the hospital, even before the weight  loss was significant enough to drop the sugar.

I think that if you are a really a severe diabetic, your best chance for remission is the RNY.  Fortunately, mine is not that severe...probably because I exercise a lot. 

I wish you well with your journey.

Lapband 12/11/08 - Slip 6/16/09 - 2nd Slip & Removal 8/3/09...Sleeve 12/22/11

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 12/3/11 6:40 pm
VSG on 10/09/12
As far as diabetes, the DS and the sleeve are better (my research, my opinion...only!) in the longer term than the RNY as the preservation of the pyloric valve has been determined as important in the way food is released from the stomach and the impact it has on the diabetes. Recent Dr Roslin article posted on this forum and others (google pyloric valve and diabetes) point to this. Non obese diabetics can get the DS just for the resolution of diabetes.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Greg M.
on 12/3/11 6:49 pm - Cincinnati, OH
That's interesting...we're always learning.  I believe that the DS has a higher risk of complications than the RNY, at least that is what my doctor said.  He won't perform that procedure any more.  I'm fortunate that I didn't have to make that choice...I really didn't want my intestines rerouted.

Lapband 12/11/08 - Slip 6/16/09 - 2nd Slip & Removal 8/3/09...Sleeve 12/22/11

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 12/3/11 7:47 pm
VSG on 10/09/12
No, me neither. That's why the RNY was not at all an "attractive option" for me. That's why I chose the VSG and also knowing that a revision to the DS is possible and easier than from the RNY starting point. Many do well with the DS and are able to eat a high fat and high protein diet. It is interesting to read on the DS forum.

20maddie
on 12/3/11 9:06 pm - TX
I had my surgery on 7/18 and I am off all diabetes medications. My cholesterol is normal and my Sleep Apnea is gone.  All is great so far. I don't know if I'm cured but it is gone for now. I suppose if I were to go back to bad eating habits it would come back.
    HW 239  SW 234  GW 135  HT 5'4

Edit   Delete  

momsy55
on 12/3/11 9:11 pm - ME
My surgeon initially tried to push RNY, because I have diabetes (in remission), but because it had been in good control all along, since starting oral meds in 2004, she felt that I'd be fine with vsg.  I haven't taken the meds since the day before surgery, although I had some rises in my blood sugar in the hospital, which I was told was a typical stress reaction to surgery.  I'm so glad I had the vsg, as I didn't like the idea of re-routing my intestine, or the malabsorption part.

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

momsy55
on 12/3/11 9:12 pm - ME
I meant to also say that in the hospital, they did give me a couple of small amounts of insulin because of the rises in blood sugar.

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 94 views