Trying to decide what to do......

leslie.b.3
on 12/8/11 5:12 am
My name is Leslie. I am 23 years old and weigh 295. About 2 years ago my mom and dad were really wanting me to get the surgery to fix my weight because if I didnt do something I was going to die. About 2 - 2.5 years ago I weighed 307lbs. I worked with a personal trainer and was able to get down 30lbs. I ended up stuck and my weight wouldnt go down any more. I have now gained back almost 20lbs.

I am now considering the surgery. However, i am very scared! I am also not too sure where to go. I have gone to many seminars and I have narrowed my options to the program at St. Mary Mercy Livonia (Michigan) or St. John Providence Park (Michigan).

Can anyone give me any information on either of these programs? What advice would you give to someone like me who is considering it, but it sooooooo scared about doing it?

Right not between the two programs I would end up doing this right before or right after Christmas this year.....so any help/advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated!!!!
rbccbrmfld
on 12/8/11 6:52 am
I dont know about the facilities but as far as the surgery you sound alot like me.  I was not able to lose any weight before. I went to a dietician followed her stuff to a T and gained 15 pds during my time.  I have had my surgery and my body has reversed everything, I always looked swollen like I was going to pop. I have none of that now. I actually look like what I way. It helped my body, my stomach operates better now than before. I no longer have IBS went away immediately. Migraines are gone. I dont even take tylenol. Allergies better. It was the best decision I ever made.  Its a scarey step but at least you have family support that is the most important thing.  Good Luck.

2muchfluff
on 12/8/11 9:15 am
 I was far more scared of what was happening to my body and my health due to not being able to lose the weight.  I was facing a life with high blood pressure, congestive heart failure, diabetes, joint pain, etc.  Very scary stuff. Of course I had had previous surgeries, so I knew what to expect, but was totally surprised by the lack of extreme discomfort I had been expecting.  There was discomfort, but not nearly at the level I had prepared myself for.  And that only lasted for less than a week.  Hope you arrrive at the right decision for you.  I know I made the right one for me.  Only wi**** had been an option for me at an early age so I would not have damaged my body like I have.

BethR311
on 12/8/11 9:16 am - Fort Wayne, IN
Leslie, my niece is 11 and weighs 225 pounds. Her dad died Nov 30, suddenly, at age 47. His funeral was Tuesday.

I say this because I see my niece in your life story. Do you want to live with pain in your back and knees? Do you want to lose your sight, kidneys, feet, brain function to diabetes? I have lived this in my own family.

Or do you want a shot at life while you're young enough to take it?

Don't wait till you're nearly 50, like I did, to take your life back.

Do you want to live?

Open yourself to possibility and possibility will present itself.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 286 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 337 views