I've lost 60 lbs, but it's not worth it.

Miss_eye
on 12/14/11 5:11 am - CA
My surgery was Sept. 2, and since then I have been hospitalized for three nights, and a week or two after that I was hospitalized for a month. I have experienced three follow-up surgeries (placing two stints in my my stomach, removing one, and finally three weeks of hospital stay later, removing the last one). I was feed intravenously through a permanent pikk line (which had to be inserted into my other arm after a blood clot) at night, and when I was eventually released from the hospital had a nurse visit me every night or every other night for weeks to hook me up to my food source. I endured a month of diqan shots for nausea, painfully vomiting up bile at least four times a day, and now owe my hospital thousands and thousands of dollars for copays alone that I will not be able to pay in the near future. I contracted c. diff, which it took me weeks to get rid of. Also, after losing 50 lbs prior to the pikk line, the TPN made me gain 25 lbs over the course of four weeks, which I have now lost. But it does not matter how much weight I have lost or gain, if you are one of the people reading this post DON'T MAKE MY MISTAKE.

Don't get this surgery.

I have not been reading this message board lately. It makes me too depressed. I see all these women, at least it seems like it is mostly women, who are desperate to lose weight, many it seems for attractiveness rather than actual health problems, and I truly wish I could prevent them from making the same terrible choice that I did.

The sad truth is that this board makes money off the advertisements, and possibly other things, that surgeons on the margins of this page give them. It is within the interest of this page to keep making that money. I don't expect that my experience will be what all people go through, but is the chance of death and permanent repercussions really worth this decision that many of you are making (let's be honest) for the purposes of vanity? Are there people you love that will be left behind? Will your parents, your children, or anyone else you care for be without you for a week, a month, or longer? What if you die?

Best of luck.

(deactivated member)
on 12/14/11 5:18 am - CA
First off... Wow I am so sorry... What happened with the surgery to cause all the issues.  I have looked every where on the internet (not just here) and your only the 2nd or 3rd person who had these kinds of issues....
Jill
EmilyUT
on 12/14/11 5:19 am - UT
I'm so sorry that you have had so many complications. I can't even imagine going through all that. Even though this surgery is the best thing I've ever done for myself and my health, it's good to have reminders on this board of the seriousness of taking this step and what can possibly go wrong. I hope you are finally on your way to health and that you can find an answer to your financial devastation. You and your family will be in my prayers!

~Emily

A H.
on 12/14/11 5:21 am
Revision on 02/09/12
I just wanted to thank you for having the courage to share your story.  I hope people don't jump on you for it.

I am considering a band to sleeve revision and I am still so on the fence. I am otherwise healthy but I have been doing extensive (everyone says they do research but I'm seriously doing extensive research) and have found horriffic data and examples of people suffering years after WLS (different types, mostly bypass complications but still).

The post-surgery complications from this surgery while rare, when they do happen, are awful.  I am scared to be one of the 1%.

I am talking back and forth with a gal who is suffering right now, just had her surgery recently and is back in the hospital with problems.

I am wondering if this is just another surgery they use to make money. While it seems good and my surgeon assures me "no problem!" there are even more % of risk for someone revising like me and there are NO guarantees to keep you out of that 1%.

I am afraid of dying, or shortening my life in the long term. I have a daughter who is almost two, a husband who I love more than anything and I cannot bear to think of the pain I would leave them with if I were to become disabled, near death, or worst, die.

I have been looking for stories like yours and they are hard to find. After all the pro-surgery types usually bash you if you post about complications, and the dead people can't post.  So what are we to do?

Anyway sorry for rambling but THANK YOU and I am so so sorry for what you are going through. Thank you for being honest. I hope it gets better for you and you fare better in the longer-term. I don't know you but I want to hug you.
 ((((())))))
susanraywilliams
on 12/14/11 6:07 am
I too did extensive research looking for stories of complications.
Most of them I found concerning RNY. Of course, there is more long-term data on the bypass than the VSG.

My best advice, although unwarranted, would be to continue doing your research and carefully look into several surgeons in your area. Check their stats on deaths and complications. What were the complications stemmed from after surgery....non-compliance from the patient or surgical error?

I did my research and spoke to patients myself. I decided to go with a bariatric center 2 hours away because their reputation was outstanding. 0 deaths, way under the national avg for complications. They covered the whole gammit in one building to cover the patients needs. Psych, nutrition, exercise, surgery, more nutrition, they even have support groups right at the center. They make themselves very available to you. Even my surgeon gives his cell phone to you after surgery.

No wonder so many out of staters go to see him. Well, there's actually 2 Dr's in the facility.

Best wishes to you too!

"Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." William Duran

BuckeyeGirl
on 12/14/11 7:00 am - TN
Hi Ubergrrl,

I just wanted to post and say that I am also a band to sleeve revision and I have had a very smooth experience and have been very pleased with my weight loss and new lifestyle.

I was scared too and revisions do have a higher rate of complications than virgin WLS, that is true. I just wanted to post to give you a positive experience as well to consider. Maybe you could spend some time finding a surgeon that is experienced in revisions to give you a confidence boost.

Best,
Lindsey

Mutha24Boyz
on 12/14/11 5:22 am - NY
It's unfortunate that this happened to you. However we should all do our own research and weigh the risks vs. the benefits. Your case is the exception and I would rather die trying to be healthy, than die from being morbidly obese and ill from all the co-morbidities that it causes. Good Luck to you in the future.

I am 29 years old. 5' tall HW 247 SW 241 Pre-Op 226 Tentative Goal 130
www.theinkdiva.blogspot.com
Tofu
on 12/14/11 5:25 am, edited 12/14/11 5:27 am
Wow.  You've obviously been through so much.  I can appreciate your motivations behind your message, as I am sure it is coming from a place of compassion.

Anyone that has bariatric surgery must know there are risks.  There is a risk of serious complications and there is a risk of dying.  However, as individuals we have the right to weigh the risks versus benefits. To make a blanket statement to everyone "don't get this surgery" is overreaching.  This surgery saves lives.

We all take risks, some unnecessary, in our every day lives.  I chose to drive a car, which has HUGE risks.  I've personally known someone that died in a car accident.  Tragic.  But, that doesn't mean I would said "Don't drive a car."  It doesn't mean I've given up driving in favor of walking everywhere or taking public transportation (both of which also had risks).

At over 300 lbs, I choose to take a risk with this surgery.  If I didn't take the risk of surgery, I would be taking the risk of continuing to live at a super morbidly obese weight.   You see, it was a risk either way.   I choose surgery. 

I wouldn't assume that someone who is younger than me, or a relative lightweight, is doing this for vanity purposes.  They too are weighing the risks and benefits.  Who knows what medical problems  down the road they are avoiding by losing the weight now?

My best to you as you heal.  I hope I didn't seem to harsh.  I just wanted to share my perspective. 

(deactivated member)
on 12/14/11 5:30 am
I am so very sorry that you have gone through so much pain after this surgery.  I wish I could take it all away somehow and make things better for your.  I hope that your body is mending now, and that things will improve. 

I do want to disagree with you about this surgery mostly being done for vanity.  I am a lightweight and "only" needed to lose 93 lbs.  However, I had already developed gestational diabetes and knee issues and I was only in my late 30's.  This surgery increased my potential life span and most importantly is has greatly improved every day of my life.  There is nothing I have ever done for myself health wise that could ever compete with the results of this surgery for me.  I can honestly say that my life has improved in almost every way since this surgery.  No one should have this surgery without doing a great deal of research into the possible (very rare but nevertheless real) complications.  This is major surgery but it is also a major life savior for many people. 

I hope that everything will continue to improve for you and that you find a way to live with your new body.  I also hope that financially you will recover and prosper.   Good luck to you.
Maria P.
on 12/14/11 5:43 am
VSG on 01/09/12
 I am having surgery on 1/9 and I'm interested in reading more about your complications if you care to share. Specifically, what caused all the complications? Was it all b/c of the c-diff? Did you have any co-morbidities like diabetes that complicated matters? 
5'3"  Age 38

HW: 216
Month 1: 20.6
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 149 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 422 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 442 views