Does anyone have to deal with Jealousy???

livingthegoldenlife
on 12/19/11 12:51 pm - TX
Just curious as to how many people on her after losing weight have to deal with either jealous family members, or have you lost any friends because of your weight loss success?

Ashley O.
on 12/19/11 1:06 pm
I'm just now only about halfway to goal, and I've already lost a couple friends over it... I had the surgery a few days before my 16th birthday this past august.. Not many teenagers have this option.. So a few of my obese friends, well.... Aren't really friends with me anymore. They were all for it at first when I told them... then they found out THEIR insurance wuoldnt cover it for them, then they told me it was stupidand ridiculous and this this and that... family members werent ever supportive.. well, my parents were. others werent though. so its not necessarily jealousy with them. more just.. disapproval.

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting some kind of battle."
~

Check out my blog? (: www.ourfightnow.net
~

(deactivated member)
on 12/19/11 2:24 pm, edited 12/19/11 2:26 am - Canada
VSG on 08/16/13
i don't understand why people think we are taking the 'easy way out'. my god, we are taking out most of our stomach, how is that easy??? i'm getting flak for that. 'try weigh****chers' 'your stomach is gonna burst open' blah blah. my one brother isn't even talking to me right now because my mom might be paying for both of our surgeries and he is so angry because he thinks she's paying 10k for my vanity. i told him to get her to pay for his rehab then, because he drinks (food is my addiction). so yeah, we aren't talking lol.
boomercd
on 12/19/11 5:01 pm - OH
Sorry to say I have, my best friend is MIA. but I look at it this way they were not friends,Im not sure if its jealousy or what, but really we don't have as mu*****ommon now, I spend my time at the gym or walking. and I don't eat out as much, it just does not make me feel the same. somethings you got to just let go. but it is one of the painful casualties of surgery.

I'm Still a work in progress, I wont give up the quest to reclaim my life, I will be whole again someday!
                          HW297 SW269 CW149.2

BETHC500
on 12/19/11 5:42 pm
I noticed when I started working out and not eating out many friends limited their contact. Like they are checking in to see if I am still on a "health kick" some just drop off the radar. I think that my healthier habits make them feel guilty for eating crap and not moving.  I have already gotten some little jealous comments.  I decided not to tell anyone except for my boyfriend and my parents because when I was just thinking about it everyone was telling me horror stories and ignorant statements. I cant tell you how many times I heard how surgery is the easy way out etc... or why don't you just do it the natural way???  I think to myself duh why didn't I ever think of that...         I didnt need the negativity.  I figure that if they are really friends they would be happy for my sucess and if not they only wanted to hang out with someone that would make them feel good about making bad choices.

debk21
on 12/19/11 9:43 pm - Mansfield, TX
Nope, haven't lost any friends.  I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.  Although I must say, it was never a secret with me.  I seem to put everything out there.  All my friends and family knew I was doing this.  I explained the procedure and what was required of me for it to work.  My daughter had a hard time with it before surgery, but once I came out on the other side, she's been very supportive.  She was just afraid of losing me.  All my friends and family have been very supportive, amazed at my progress, and cheering me on the whole way.  For me, letting everyone know what was happening was the right decision.

Deb

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

USAF Wife
on 12/19/11 10:12 pm
I've lost a handful of "friends". I was active in the BBW/size acceptance world before surgery. Once I lost weight, and they found out I chose surgery, I was immediately shunned, cut off, and told that I didn't belong anymore because I had succumb to the "society of skinny *****es". Well, skinny ***** I shall be over a dead fat chick, or a fat chick taking more meds than days in a week.

I was called names such as "bobble head doll" "lollipop girl" etc etc. It was ugly, and unneccessary. A few of them have contacted me to discuss VSG vs. RNY and my experience with the band. Others are hellbent that I took the easy way out, that I turned my back on a world and people who loved me the way I was. I chose surgery for health and vanity reasons. I am just grateful for those who have supported me constantly regardless of my pant size. My core personality has not changed. My behaviors have changed when it comes to food, but I don't throw my choices, or my decisions on anyone else. I'm still the same girl, I still have a "fat girl's" love of food. My whole life changed about 6 months before I met my husband. As our relationship grew, I did ditch my party life, and quit going out all the time which made people assume that I had changed. All I did was get into a healthy, loving relationship. Apparently, that isn't acceptable HA. Once I moved out of state, got married, and really started living a healthy life, the comments started and got ugly. I honestly don't know if it's jealousy. Not many would want a 13yr old puberty-ridden teenage boy, a 7 week old daughter, a husband who is in the Air Force and can be sent halfway around the world at a moment's notice, we get uprooted every few years, we live a great life but that's because we make it great. Part of me thinks it falls back on "misery loves company", and they are miserable with their lives and choose to NOT make positive changes to make their life better.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

debk21
on 12/19/11 11:32 pm - Mansfield, TX
OMG!  That makes me so sad for you.  I will be your friend... People can be soooo hurtful.  Sorry you had to deal with those ********!...and glad you are emotionally healthy enough to see through it.

Deb

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

SassyItalian
on 12/19/11 11:36 pm - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
I hate to  say this but..most of my family are notorious haters towards me. Its out of control since the weight loss.

I would argue that seeing someone else make the changes and be successful makes people questions themselves. If you could change things, there is no reason why they cant.

Its never nice comments, its always picking on my skinnier appearance..

I laugh all the way to the store, where i buy my skinny girl clothes and go on my merry way!!!

Its wasted energy.

Anyone who preferred me fat and miserable does not measure on my meter any more.

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

Ms Shell
on 12/19/11 11:49 pm - Hawthorne, CA
Since my ego IS over the top no matter what I weigh I'm actually surprised I ever had friends lol!!  God and I hand picked everyone in my life and they are still there.  Either routing me on to victory everyday or just loving me in their own way.

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 269 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views