ugh

ladyshai27
on 12/23/11 8:46 am - SC
 So I called my nutritionist because I cant keep any protein shakes on my new lil tummy. They go right thru me. So she suggested pureed eggs to see if they will stay on my stomach. I am just 5 days out. OMG the eggs are sitting right in my chest and giving me horrible indigestion. Big Mistake.... Can anyone help me?  It feels like its moving very slowly but its not pleasant.
(deactivated member)
on 12/23/11 8:54 am
Just walk.. don't sip water or anything else and it will pass.. Don't listen to your nut ever again.. Eggs at 5 days out? Eggs are one of the least tolerated (along with dry white meat chicken) of all the foods post-op, in any form! The surprise isn't aimed at you, just your nutty NUT.

What protein shakes are you using? It is very, very common to have the liquids in=liquids out issue if that's what you are referring to(?****il you progress to mushies and solids, but 5 days is obviously waaaay too fast per your stomach! Keep your fluids up, try other shakes some may work better for you than others, but for some of us this issue didn't clear up till mushies/solids (for me, that was 14 days out..) I weathered it just fine, as did my other end.
(deactivated member)
on 12/23/11 8:55 am
It will most likely be OK, that feeling you are describing is not just indigestion, you are pushing on your staple line.  PLEASE take it easy for the first few weeks.  Maybe look for another protein shake with different ingredients, but your stomach is telling you loudly that it's not ready for this yet.  When you do start to eat mushies, be safe, start with less than 1/4 cup and eat in eraser size bites chewing 30 times.  Go slow, you can injure yourself and it does not feel good to have this feeling.  Good luck to you, I hope you will feel better soon.
ladyshai27
on 12/23/11 9:03 am - SC
 so the liquid in liquid out is normal?  i like the shakes but they just dont stay on my stomach. should i try to wait it out and just drink them and hope they stay on my stomach.
ruggie
on 12/23/11 9:09 am - Sacramento, CA
Look, you gotta not worry about this.  Liquids don't sit around in your stomach.  They're not supposed to.  A majority of protein is absorbed by the small intense.  Our stomachs are ultra-tiny; if liquid was supposed to sit around in it, we'd never get in our 2 liters a day. 

Please don't worry about whether you think it's staying in your stomach.  In fact, if it's not, that's a good sign that you're further along in your healing.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

(deactivated member)
on 12/23/11 9:12 am
Maybe I'm confused.. are you saying you have diarrhea or that you aren't satisfied with the shakes.. The runs are normal, as is not being satisfied on liquids only for some of us..
ruggie
on 12/23/11 9:16 am - Sacramento, CA

(deactivated member)
on 12/23/11 9:18 am
Thanks for the heads up! I thought maybe she didn't want to say the D word :)
ruggie
on 12/23/11 9:07 am - Sacramento, CA
No offense to your nutritionist or anything, honestly, but I find the average nutritionist is slightly more intelligent than a political candidate.  Infer what you will.

Way too early for solid food, in my non-medical opinion, yikes! 

I know you posted yesterday or the day before about being worried how fast the protein shakes were 'moving through you' but don't worry about that - you're still healing from surgery!  You're only five days out!  Relax.  Breathe.  You have weeks of healing ahead of you, plus months of dieting.  Just stick with your shakes.  Your digestion patterns will start to come back to normal in time.  Don't worry about how often you use the bathroom or how liquidy - this is an issue a lot of patients have.  You gotta be a patient with patience.  

Please think seriously about not starting your mushies until two weeks after your surgery. 

When eating is unpleasant, it's usually a sign to not do it.

SleevedLife
on 12/23/11 9:13 am, edited 12/23/11 9:14 am
Liquid-in-liquid-out is very normal.  Both my surgeon and my NUT told me to expect it, but to let them know if it didn't improve within a couple of weeks.

I can't imagine eating an egg - even pureed- at just 5 days out!  I know all surgeons have different rules.  I was one clear liquids for a week, then another two weeks plus 2 days of full liquids.  So over three weeks of liquids before I can even try pureed food. 

Since I  am still on full liquids for another 6 days or so I am still having some of that liquid-in-liquid-out, but it has gotten significantly better.  SIGNIFICANTLY!!

I'd go back to your liquids and just trust that it will indeed get better.  Just be sure to stay hydrated by sipping water all day.  I personally would always err on the side of caution when it comes to moving forward in a diet.  Take your time!

Sorry your nut gave your crummy advice.  That stinks when the people you are supposed to turn to for good information give you bad information.  Good luck, and congrats on your new sleeve!

Nutshell:

Lost 140 lbs with VSG. (Hooray!!)

got pregnant  (yeaaaa!)  

got cancer (boooo!)

regained 40 lbs.   (grrrr!)

In summary: Alive & Grateful.   

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 314 views