Friend is 2 & 1/2 weeks out & can't eat?

Amy D.
on 12/23/11 10:32 pm
 My friend cannot eat anything because she says nothing taste the same & feels sick when she eats!!   Even drinking things! Anyone experience this?  Cause I have not & was wondering if anyone could give advice because she says she is hungry!  She may have to go in soon to get an IV! Anything will be so helpful! (She has no computer)

VSG 11-8-11      HW 327       SW 255   Mo.1-25 lbs  loss  " I think that everything happens to me for a reason. The hard times that I go through build character, making me a much stronger person.?
RubyTues
on 12/23/11 10:39 pm - Canada
hmmm well I never really had any taste changes myself.. I had heard many did though so I was waiting for it.. some have even said water didn't taste as good anymore.

I guess one thing I noticed is I don't like the sweetness of like the G2 or crystal lite drinks, but I wasn't that big a fan pre op either.

On my discharge papers becoming nauseated after eating was a signal to get to doc asap.
So she needs to figure out if it's a mental reaction to smells and taste of if it's a physical one, and if it's physical she should make a visit asap.

nateeks
on 12/23/11 10:47 pm - nassau, Bahamas
 my stomach acid refluxed into my esophagus at one point causing similar feelings. is she on a PPI?
Amy D.
on 12/23/11 11:05 pm
 No & I have not heard of this! Thanks for the information because she did just tell me that she was diagnosed with Gerd @ a young age!

VSG 11-8-11      HW 327       SW 255   Mo.1-25 lbs  loss  " I think that everything happens to me for a reason. The hard times that I go through build character, making me a much stronger person.?
happyteacher
on 12/23/11 11:31 pm
 Here is a list of some of the most common suggestions from posters on the board.  

1.  Eating too fast?  Sip slow slow slow.  Eat small bits the size of an eraser on a pencil and slow slow slow.  I do less than 2 ounces of food or shake and will spend about 30 minutes getting it down if it is yogurt or 1 shake takes an hour to an hour and a half if made with soy. 

2.  Try different temperatures for liquids.  I seem to do wonderfully with hot tea (try warm first).  

3.  Try flavor additives to water such as cyrstal light.

4.  Find a product called Isopure Plus.  The size I use is an 8 ounce beverage, Alpine Punch flavored, and has 15 grams of protein.  Goes down super easy and kills two birds with 1 stone.

5.  If the protein shakes are not working, try different brands.  My nut wanted me to use soy milk instead of water (I am lactose sensitive) and I found after a day that it was just to gross.  I reverted back to making it with water and do much better.  I also am having no difficulty getting in protein though, and they use of the soy milk was advised to boost protein.  Experiment with the shakes!

6.  PPI was already mentioned.

7.  A favorite of mine is Fage Greek Fat Free plain yogurt with sugar free vanilla Torani syup added to help thin it out a bit.  Give it a whirl!

8.  Don't forget to get walking in.  

9.  Does the pain medicine seem to make her nausous?  I had an issue with this in the hospital.  Just have her try to notice if this is an issue, as there are different options for pain management.  
10.  Try gas strips.  You can find them in a CVS with the other gas products like beano.  They are a slim piece of strip that dissolves on your tongue.  Haven't needed to try it, but read frequently that it helps.

12.   Above all stay hydrated!  Yesterday was the first time I fell a little short, so I took a water bottle to bed.  Was caught up by the time the morning came.  It was also the first morning I woke up a bit nauaseated in the wee hours of the night, probably connected.    

It is all that I can think of at the moment, but hopefully the other posters will add some other ideas.  I hope your friend feels better.  

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

hermio
on 12/24/11 12:16 am
 Sounds dehydrated...I used Isopure like mentioned above (grape Frost) but didn't like it straight so I bought Hawaiian Punch Grape sugar free (splenda) for the 16.9oz water bottles. I added 1/3 pkg per 20oz bottle of Isopure.

Love It!

So sorry to hear when people have issues. 

She needs to drink. Dehydration can make you feel nausea.

1st Goal 225      2nd Goal  200     3rd Goal 180   Trying 1st = 3 mo    2nd = 6mo   3rd = 1yr  GW 180

Dec 5,  2011 VSG,    5'7" Male,     HW 320,     SW 276,     CW 235,     GW 190
Loss by Doc Visit 1mo=18   3mo= 26   6mo=??  
SleevedLife
on 12/24/11 1:10 am
I do think she should call her surgeon's office, to be safe.  Many people need IV fluids, and if she is dehydrated that will likely be the fastest and safest way to get her levels back up.  Once she he re-hydrated, I think she will feel much better.

But, having said that, I really relied on sf Popsicles that first week!  If I got dehydrated, I felt horrible.  A few sf Popsicles helped get a little hydration back up to the point where I could sip on water without feeling sick.

The shake I loved pre-op I cannot STAND now post-op. It tasted like hot chocolate pre-op, and rotten fish post-op.  Tastes do change in some people, and someone smarter than me on here stated it was related to hormone changes related to fast weight loss.   She will just need to experiment and find something she likes.  I've had to start drinking RTD shakes because they are the only ones that taste OK to me right now.  I like EAS AdvantEdge Carb Control in chocolate fudge.  It works anyway, so I'm sticking to it for now.

I hope she feels better soon!  She's so lucky to have you for a friend to help her with this transition.

Nutshell:

Lost 140 lbs with VSG. (Hooray!!)

got pregnant  (yeaaaa!)  

got cancer (boooo!)

regained 40 lbs.   (grrrr!)

In summary: Alive & Grateful.   

(deactivated member)
on 12/24/11 3:12 am
On December 24, 2011 at 6:32 AM Pacific Time, Amy D. wrote:
 My friend cannot eat anything because she says nothing taste the same & feels sick when she eats!!   Even drinking things! Anyone experience this?  Cause I have not & was wondering if anyone could give advice because she says she is hungry!  She may have to go in soon to get an IV! Anything will be so helpful! (She has no computer)
 I had exactly the same thing.  Everything tasted like poison.  That is until I got UNJURY chicken soup.  You have to order UNJURY on the web.  They deliver so fast that you can't believe it possible.  It was the first thing I could stand.  Then my sister made baked custard for me and I do believe it saved my life.  It was bland, just what I appreciated at that time.  Recipe:

Egg custard:
2 cups of milk
2 eggs
1/3 cup of splenda or sugar if you don't want anything artificial
1 tsp of vanilla
pinch of salt
sprinkle tops with cinnamon or nutmeg

Mix well pour into 4 custard cups and put in pan.  Surround cups with ho****er and bake at 350 for about 35 minutes until a knife comes out clean.

This will give her some nourishment and protect against the diarrhea caused by all liquids.

Good luck

SleevedLife
on 12/24/11 3:16 am
I gotta second the unjury chicken soup!!  It's the only powder protein I can stand right now.  It's really great!  My only complaint is that it is high in sodium.  But you must get the protein in, so it's worth the tradeoff at the moment.

(And I'm even a vegetarian, and I think this tastes great.  There are no actual chickens in unjury chicken. LOL!)

Nutshell:

Lost 140 lbs with VSG. (Hooray!!)

got pregnant  (yeaaaa!)  

got cancer (boooo!)

regained 40 lbs.   (grrrr!)

In summary: Alive & Grateful.   

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 87 views