Depression

MsLove01
on 12/26/11 7:43 am - WA
I have been in the house alone for three days. I have suffered from depression this year. My daughter left the nest and I have had relationship issues. I finally became single at Thanksgiving, which is heartbreaking to me. I am on anti-depressants. I promised my friends and family I would not spend Christmas alone..but here I am, turning down every invitation and not answering the phone. I am not eating, clearly...just slept most of the 3 day weekend.

I did talk to my surgeon about my year of depressions before surgery. He thought I would end up going off my antidepressants. I feel instead like I need to go up, or switch.

I don't know how to feel better. I know what I should do..excersize, be social, make plans, find a hobby..but I do not want to do anything.

Has anyone out there suffured from depression and came out the other side?
Marlene

HogRider
on 12/26/11 7:51 am - Jacksonville, FL
I too suffer from depression. Exercise helps, forcing yourself out of the house to shop, see a movie, eat out, talk with friends will greatly help overcome depression. A surgeon is the wrong person to talk with about depression. Talk with a mental health professional. Warning: I am not a doctor, but I did watch a rerun of House today.
USAF Retired                     CW: 257 SW: 341  GW :170
ruggie
on 12/26/11 11:18 am - Sacramento, CA
Let me guess.

Is it the one where House thought he had something figured at first, but then it turned out he was wrong, but he still ended up solving it in the end?  Oh, and he took a bunch of pills too?

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

BigKev78
on 12/26/11 11:19 am - Lilburn, GA
 God I hate House!!

Big Kev   My video Blog: http://www.youtube.com/user/ckb1978?feature=mhee

soon2b20
on 12/26/11 7:52 am - NJ

I go to a therapist every other week.   I have a good insurance so it only costs me 15 dollars each time.   It really helps me a lot.   I am also on anti depressants but I feel like losing weight is helping me to gain confidence and feel better about a lot of things.  If you don't already do so find some local support groups.  I am sure your doctor can recommend some.  They are free and it will get you to meet people and most importantly get out of the house.   Good luck.

cbz1815
on 12/26/11 7:56 am
 Glad you reached out to the boards.   Now it is time to reach out to your family who friends who care about you.   Go see a therapist - it does really help.   Get back to work, do some exercise.   Christmas is a depressing time for many people -- it is now over -- start the New Year with some more "good for you" resolutions in the self-care department.
 http://images.obesityhelp.com/uploads/profile/1002835/tickers/cbz18154ffc4e0ad3061cc9a4a78b5c152e9570.png?1322016825
roundater
on 12/26/11 8:01 am - Lincoln, NE
I have also battled depression. Exercise and increased networking has really been a benefit to me. If you need a friend, shoot me a PM or friend request.
Rich Sonderegger

Stephanie M.
on 12/26/11 8:20 am
I have Dysthymia (chronic low grade depression.) I can tell you that if you're still feeling like that you need to either increase your dosage or try a new med. You didn't say if you had a therapist, but I would advise you to find one. For me personally, it was the combination of the right med and talk therapy that really turned me around. Regardless, please call your doctor tomorrow. You need help, and it should be sooner rather than later.

Remember, you don't have to feel this way, and it's not your fault. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you'd like to talk.

High weight: 276

Lowest weight: 155.2

Currently : 159-164

Couch potato to runner in 18 months!                         

MsLove01
on 12/26/11 8:24 am - WA
thank you everyone
Marlene

Laura2112
on 12/26/11 9:17 am - Austin, PA
 reaching out is one of the best things you can do! I work with people with depression and I too have suffered with it for years.  About a year ago I hooked up with depression recovery groups. They have online help from trained professional. the first meeting is free, after that they are very low cost.

5'2" HW: 282.2 SW 247.80 
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views