One Week til Surgery

Teresa H.
on 12/27/11 5:19 am
VSG on 01/03/12
Today, I had an "oh my god moment". I am really going to have my gastric sleeve in a week.
Jan. 3rd, So very excited, scared, and totally freaking myself out. This surgery will be a good thing for me and my body. But, I've never had surgery, all along I have been telling my kids, parents, husband etc and I have been calling it a procedure...But it is a major life changing surgery. I have been preparing for this for the past 5 months and I am ready for the changes in diet and lifestyle. However, not so sure on the whole operating room thing. Please someone tell me it'll be okay. 
Terry H.
on 12/27/11 5:33 am
 Hey! I'm a T.Harrison too.

I worried about a lot of things before the surgery.  I was worried my friends wouldn't understand or be supporting - they were.  I worried I wouldn't enjoy going out to dinner anymore - I do.  I was worried that my wife would tire of our dietary differences - she has been terrific.   I worried that something would go wrong with the surgery - it didn't.  And the list goes on and on.  Truthfully, while I know that many people have problems, this has been easier than I expected.  

This was my first surgery since I had my tonsils out as a kid.  The people that do this are pros!  My last memory was of seeing the operating room and my next one was waking up in recovery.  All of the people during the day of surgery were wonderful to me and concerned about me.  I'm sure that your team will be the same.  

Hang in there and focus on your new life to come.  It will be worth overcoming your fears.

HW 420 SW 369  Pre-Op -51 lbs; M1-19;M2-15;M3-14;M4 -14;M5-13; M6- 14;M7-14;M8-10;M9-11;M10-11;M11-9;M12-7;M13-7;M14-5; M15-7; M16-8. M17-3. M18-6; M19-5. Goal of 200 (220 Lost) Reached Month 15. Goal of 180 (240 lost) reached at 18 months 10 days on 4/.20/13.  57% body weight lost@180.  Now on maintenance. Low weight 169.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Beyond Goal 

Teresa H.
on 12/27/11 5:45 am
VSG on 01/03/12
Thanks, for your encouraging words. My head is just spinning and I need to relax and let it be. It's good to hear that your wife and friends have been supportive. I don't think I could do it without my family's full support. Wish I could turn my brain off sometimes though, the What if's kept me up all night. Maybe a good movie or book... Anyhow, Thanks again,
Rosemary1031
on 12/27/11 6:57 am - Chula Vista, CA
VSG on 02/06/12
I'm going in for my sleeve on Feb 6th. I had a minor surgery last year, and that was the first surgery I ever had and let me tell you that going under is really just like taking a short nap. You don't even remember when you do fall asleep (go under). The best advice I can give you when facing any surgery is just relax!

I am really focused on all the positive things that are going to come out of this surgery. I can't wait for my healthier life to begin and being able to do things that my weight has held me back from. I think of these things more often than the hospital stuff; that part lasts but a second compared to the rest of your new healthy life!

Remember, the real work starts after your surgery. Good luck!
shaah2000
on 12/27/11 10:02 am - NJ
I am going the day after you and i am more worried about the liquid diet that i start tomorrow. i have had lots of surgeries and they dont bother me. just try to relax. it heps if you have a great relationship with your surgeon, which i don think i do , so thats not great, but i know he is a professional. everyone in the OR will be really cool and make you feel relaxed. once you get the shot to put you to sleep, you will be saying something and the next thing you know, you are out like a light bulb and then you are waking up in recovery and probably will drift back off into la la land. best of luck to you
Most Active