Acid Reflux post VSG...what does it feel like?

Stronger1
on 1/10/12 10:08 pm - Charlotte, NC
Hello...I am having weird symptoms which I believe may be acid reflux, but I'm not sure because I never had it prior to surgery.  I'll be putting a call in to my doc this morning.  I am on generic Prilosec and I have been taking that twice a day, especially the last 2 weeks.  I did not start it immediately after surgery, which have been my mistake.  But now at almost 6 weeks out I am constantly burping...any sip or spoonful feel like it sits in my chest...then I feel something bubble up and I burp and it finally goes down.  Also, having trouble sleeping at night...but I don't feel/taste acid...just feel like pressure?  Anyway, just wondering if anyone else had these symptoms and if it could possibly be acid reflux?

metime
on 1/10/12 10:27 pm - chesapeake, VA
yes I have this issue too, sometimes its a burp sometimes a hiccup, but it does help the food move down which I find as a relief so I dont mind it. The acid relux I had and still do have is more of a burning feeling. I think sometimes I try  to eat too fast and maybe swallowing too much air and that could be the cause of it as well. Im 9 months out and still get the reflux but it gets better for sure!!

TheBiscuit
on 1/10/12 10:36 pm - TX
 My reflux only triggers with caffeine. It's a hot, painful burning sensation in my throat. That pressure you're feeling could definitely be reflux, mixed with gas. It can be hard on a newly sleeved stomach to deal with any sort of bloat. 

Try using Gas-X strips during the day after you take your heartburn medicine. 
Stronger1
on 1/10/12 10:56 pm - Charlotte, NC
I just talked to the nurse at my surgeon's office and she told me to try Gas-X too.  If that does not work I'm supposed to switch back to a liquid diet for a few days.

howarli
on 1/10/12 10:38 pm - MD

I usually experience acid reflux at night.  It actually wakes me up from my sleep.  Liquid acid comes up into your mouth/throat and it is a bad bad bitter taste. I actually only had it a couple of times.  I try not to eat a lot of food in the evening to avoid this.

gamom135
on 1/10/12 10:56 pm - Middle GA, GA
Symptoms can be different for everyone.  I apparently had reflux for years and never had a burning feeling in my chest.  I would cough and sometimes feel like my throat was closing up.   I started taking Prilosec after surgery when I had symptoms similar to yours.  That seems to have taken care of mine, so you definitely want to check with your doc.  It may be that the Prilosec isn't working and you need to switch to a different PPI.  Good luck!
dittodotv
on 1/10/12 11:45 pm
For me, it is like this weird feeling in the very back of my throat, going down my esophagus, and I really don't know how else to explain it...I was on Pepcid OTC for 2 weeks after my surgery, but when I started on purees I felt "that feeling" all the time (before surgery I was taking Zantac daily which helped with the acid reflux), so at my PA switched me to omeprezale (sp?).... which I didn't think was working either. Sigh. So she said start elminating things you are eating/drinking and go back to liquids for a few days. I stopped my morning caffeinated coffee thinking that was the problem...do you know what? It was the EGGS! I was eating a scrambled egg and BAM it started. As of last week I eliminated the eggs and reintroduced my coffee, etc. - no problem.

It may take a little of elminating and reintroducing for you too to find out what your trigger is, but I think that is what you are experiencing. Hope this helps!

50yr. old female 5'8" / HW 363 / ConsW 346 / SW 333 / CW 184.4

RubyTues
on 1/11/12 12:07 am - Canada
I had that thing happen when the acid came right up into my mouth while sleeping and the taste was like metal.. terrible.
I haven't been on anything daily but I got a script for pariet so I think I'll get it filled tomorrow and start on it cuz ever since yesterday I have had a feeling of hunger all day long at first I thought it was just hunger but then I had a snack and it reappeared minutes after..so then I thought it was lack of water so I've been drinking and drinking but it's still there.

I had my first full mug of caffeinated coffee yesterday and although it tasted like heaven I think it's the culprit. So back to decaf for a bit til I feel better and then I'll attempt another try and see if the same thing happens.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 78 views