Surgery delayed - ulcer

Aussie_in_India
on 1/10/12 10:16 pm - India
Blood work - check
Doppler - check
Chest x-ray - check
Ultrasound - check
Blood pressure - dodgy at the best of times, ranged from 160/115 to 120/80, depending on who took it, how they took it, and whether or not they were describing the endoscopy procedure in detail a the time . . .
Endoscopy - hmm, not fun, and found an ulcer that was quietly hiding in apparently the worst position that it could be in

Me "How long do you think that has been there, I haven't had any symptoms"

Dr "Not that long - have you been under any stress in the last four weeks"

Me "Does my 16 year old daughter moving out of home and refusing to come back to India with us count as stressful??? "

Hmmm - rescheduled for about three weeks time, assuming the 6 horse tablets per day do their job on the ulcer

The good news was that having had all the tests and an overnight stay, I am really happy with the hospital and standard of care ( in one day I was visited by the surgeon, his assistant, a junior and senior physician, anesthetist, psychologist, endocrinologist and nut, phew)
metime
on 1/10/12 10:31 pm - chesapeake, VA
wow thats a bummer sorry to hear about your daughter. I hope your ulcer gets better soon!

Aussie_in_India
on 1/11/12 12:27 am - India
Thanks! I think the ulcer will be easier to sort out than the daughter . . But we are getting there with her too
(deactivated member)
on 1/11/12 12:52 am

I had to cancel my surgery as well due to a work related injury that had to have surgical repair.  I was delayed two months. All I can tell you is that it WILL happen and it's best that you are healthy. I am 6 days out and feeling pretty good, but had I went ahead with the VSG and not been able to take care of myself it would have been SO much harder. I am praying for you, and that your journey will begin soon.
As for your daughter, I think back to leaving home when I was 18. It was a harsh thing- I just picked up and left - no warning at all and my mom was devastated. Today as a 31 year old mother (almost 32) I SOOOO regret the decisions I made in my youth. But that is what makes us the grown ups we become. Let her take her knocks.  She made the choice- let her deal with it. I found it very hard being on my own, married a terrible man, but wanted to be able to take care of myself and joined the military. Best decision I made for myself. Life works out, but sometimes we have to suffer the consequences of our actions and WANT more for ourselves. God Bless you and that situation. You are in my prayers.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 1/11/12 12:57 am
VSG on 10/09/12
I also had to reschedule because of an ulcer that they found during the endo. I had to take two different antibiotics and an antacid (pariet) for two weeks morning and evening. Now I have to continue with the pariet for another few days and then I have to wait for a month with no treatment, have another endoscopy and if all is clear I can go for the surgery. It is tentatively rescheduled for 30 April now because I also have some work travel in between that I can't miss. I was supposed to have the surgery tomorrow originally. Bummed totally but this will just make your preparation all that much more solid.

Sorry about your struggles. I also have a 16 year old daughter (and a 15 year old son and a 13 year old daughter) and I know what you are going through. I am actually surprised that I didn't get an ulcer earlier. I also had no symptoms at all and was totally surprised.

Well, it's a good thing we are taking care of that now before they become bleeding ulcers or whatever ulcers do when they are left to evolve...

hang in there! and good luck with the daughter...

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 364 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 409 views