People not recognizing you...

(deactivated member)
on 1/11/12 7:05 am
VSG on 02/16/12
joeswife
on 1/11/12 3:51 am - CA
I am getting it too now, but I contribute it to a few other things as well. I look a lot slimmer, I have a more outgoing attitude, and a different mindset now as well as a WHOLE lot of self confidence. All that wrap up into one makes for an ATTITUDE! LOL But a really positive attitude!

Embrace it, You look great!

(deactivated member)
on 1/11/12 3:53 am
Annoyed? Not at all, I'm glad. If I didn't look different after losing 110 pounds, something is wrong.

I see you've lost even more so it's normal. You think you look the same, you don't I bet. Put two pics side by side, now and then. You'll see there's a big difference.

My kids see me everyday and don't notice the changes. I see myself everyday and I do notice but it's not drastic. However those who don't see me everyday, I get it.

Just to put it in perspective, my nephew (who is 12) did not recognize me at Christmas.

It's all good, it means good things!
theshrinkingmimi
on 1/11/12 4:34 am
I call it a NSV. You probably will too....next week.
Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
PrettyEyes_41
on 1/11/12 4:35 am - MS
VSG on 06/12/12
LOL - then there are those of us waiting to have surgery and can't wait to have that problem!! In my mind it's a really good thing, I just can't imagine it being bad. Will let you know if and when it ever happens to me!  
FreeJulie
on 1/11/12 7:11 am - WA
 Not annoyed in the least but I can be surprised by it, or forget that people may not recognize me. And besides losing all this weight, I also did dramatically cut and color my hair (and change my name, too, taking back my maiden name after divorce).

My favorite was when I heard an old coworker was retiring and I ran into him in the building (hadn't seen him in a couple years). Gave him a big ole hug and wished him a happy retirement.

THEN I realized he did not have a clue who I was, haha.

On the flip side, I got terminated on the 365th day of a one-year probation a few years ago. The director from that job now works for the same agency as me. I can *SEE* him trying to place me in the elevator or lobby, etc.

But I figure, I've lost 112 lbs, changed my name, changed my hair...I don't have to even remotely acknowledge him trying to place me, I just put on a friendly-ish face and look through him like a window. ;)
Julie, 5' 3", age 42. Starting weight: 263, Surgery weight: 255
Blogging at www.freejulie.blogspot.com        
dec721
on 1/11/12 10:48 pm - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
I love it!  The funniest incident for me was when I went to hear a choral concert directed by a man who has been a dear friend for almost 40 years.  He was one of my college professors, I was his secretary, I babysat his kids, and I was his accompanist for years and years.  We hadn't seen each other in about a year when I went to this concert.  After the concert, I went up to him and said, "Mike!  That was a wonderful concert!" and he said, "Thank you for coming; I'm glad you enjoyed it," and walked away.  He took about three steps, then twirled around and said, "DOROTHY???"  He hadn't recognized me at all!!  It was hysterical.  And I loved it! 
--Dorothy

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

USAF Wife
on 1/11/12 10:52 pm, edited 1/11/12 10:52 pm
My husband was deployed the first 4 months after my revision to VSG. I dropped 80lbs in that time period. At his homecoming, walking down the airport arrival area, he looked right at me, and kept walking. I had to run up, throw my arms in the air, stomp my feet and scream "It's me, It's me".

I also did not change my hair, make-up, or anything else about my appearance.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

vacationlover
on 1/12/12 2:24 am
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 180 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 476 views