bawling

Ashley H.
on 1/16/12 4:45 am - Brownwood , TX
VSG on 03/01/12
Well I just spent my lunch hour crying my eyes out.... I might...MIGHT not be able to have my surgery done till next year due to financial issues.  Economy ha**** our little family bad and I was planning to pay for this out of my W2 income return.  I get a good chunk, but looks like I will need to pay off some other things and get the house in order.  I am so mad and torn.  I do not know what to do.  I have called the doctors office to see if they offer help, like I pay half and pay the rest out.  But haven't heard back from them yet.  Just frustrated because this is something I really want for me and I never give myself anything, I am one of those peoples that makes sure everyone else is taken care of then whatever is left i take care of me.  So i am crushed that this might not happen and have to wait a whole year. ugh. just needed to vent.  wahhhhhhhh

joeswife
on 1/16/12 4:48 am - CA
Maybe your doctors office offers a payment plan? I feel for you. I was a self pay and it was hard to pay all that money. But I can tell you that 3 1/2 months out it was the best money I have ever spent on myself! I hope you can work it out and get it done when you planned. Hang in there.

ruggie
on 1/16/12 4:48 am - Sacramento, CA
Really sorry to hear this unfortunate turn of events for you.  Must you spend your return money on these items?  Are you able to charge any portion of the surgery?  Are you willing to investigate a medical loan?  Can you sell anything of value?  Etc.

Folks also might be able to offer you financial advice at the Insurance & Self-Pay forum.

That sucks, but I wish you luck.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

MyOwnSunshine
on 1/16/12 5:22 am
Can you look into some of the Mexico options and use less money?  There are some really good, legitimate VSG surgeons in Mexico, and they may cost less than self-pay in the US.

Sometimes, things happen for a reason, and if you can't get it done this year, you can plan on doing it next year.  I started looking into WLS three years ago, but I couldn't meet one of my insurance requirements (the 5 year documentation of a BMI of 40), so I gave up on it for a while.  During the time I gave up on the idea, I worked really hard on getting the rest of my life in order and getting my head straight. 

This year, the insurance requirements changed in my favor, and I am so grateful that I "had" to wait -- if I had done it 3 years ago, I would have had a lap band, and this time around, the sleeve was available.  Plus, I was in a much better place to focus on WLS and making healthy changes.

Hang in there.  It's not the end of your dream, just an unexpected plot twist.  Stay positive and keep your physical and emotional health in the forefront of whatever you do.  You will be able to make this happen!
" I am not at all concerned with appearing to be consistent. In my pursuit after Truth I have discarded many ideas and learnt many new things."  Ghandi            
Ashley H.
on 1/16/12 5:55 am - Brownwood , TX
VSG on 03/01/12

My insurance is really good, i mean I only have to pay max out of pocket $3000, but my family has been hit hard with some financial issues so now I don't know if i should spend the money on my surgery or try and tuff it out for the year and get it done next year. 

Tonja B.
on 1/17/12 4:58 am - TX
My doctor let me pay my out of pocket expenses out to him.  When I went in to sign all my paperwork before surgery they just asked how much I could pay each month.  Hopefully your doctor will do the same.  It was the best money I have ever spent!!!

MutteringDuck
on 1/16/12 2:28 pm - CT
have you looked into care credit?  it's a credit card for medical expenses...

http://www.carecredit.com/

HW: 291  SW: 276    
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 315 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views