Random: What I miss at 4 weeks

GrlDisappearing
on 1/18/12 12:16 pm - NY
This is kind of a fun post since I'm 4 weeks out, and foodwise, I'm only at about 2.5-3 weeks because of a setback I had with an antibiotic that hurt my stomach pretty bad. I'm still on very soft foods (like, I got unnaturally excited about a couple spoonfulls of macaroni and cheese..no lie. lol)

Anyway, as I've been feeling better, I've been thinking of the things that I miss, can't wait to try again, and of the things that I miss, but won't miss as I work through this journey of my new tummy. :) 

1. Mom's fresh Caesar Salad...oh sweet garlicky amazingness!!
2. Buffalo Chicken Salad (grilled chicken with lots of hot sauce! YUM!!)
3. Breakfast sausage or bacon to go with my eggs
4. Coffee!
5. CITRUS EVERYTHING!!!
6. Apples
7. Strawberry banana smoothies
8. Indian food
9. French fries
10. Wine

I guess it could be worse. lol Really, what I'm missing are the fresh veggies and citrus things that I can't eat yet... and man, I will rejoice when I can have a salad again! lol I've got PMS, so that explains the fries, and Indian food... I miss that because I miss the rich flavors with the vegetables...I'm tired of everything being so bland. And wine..well, I always loved a glass of wine a few nights each week. I've always enjoyed wine. Man oh man.

It's funny though, as each week goes by (especially last week when I was in a lot of pain from my reaction to the antibiotic), I think about how my relationship with food is changing. I was such an emotional eater that when I was in pain and miserable, I was angry because I couldn't eat it away, have a glass of wine, smack around the punching bag, OR clean my house because I'm not cleared for any activities yet, and of course I can't emotionally eat or drink wine (yet). Unfortunately, I didn't really have anything to get out my stress, but I did spend a lot of time sitting and thinking about the way things are changing. Like, sometimes I'll see a commercial for food, and my brain is saying 'that looks good!' (as it has been conditioned to do), but the rest of me is saying 'no way, I wouldn't even like that PRE surgery...wtf?). It's almost like a mourning period where at first you really miss someone, and then gradually life starts to resume and there's a new normal. I don't know if that makes sense?

I'm also watching a lot of Food Network. lol I can't tell you why, but maybe it's because the chefs always come up with dishes that look VSGer sized. LOL

Anyway, I felt like I had to ramble a bit to people who would get it. :) That is all!

sleevegirl
on 1/18/12 12:21 pm - Austin, TX
I put hot sauce on everything early out and it was fine (do what feels right though). I was dumping it in broth after the first few days. Hang in there!

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

GrlDisappearing
on 1/18/12 12:25 pm - NY
If I hadn't just gone through what I did with the antibiotic, I might try it, but that ruined my stomach so bad I was afraid I'd never eat again. lol That, and I had a bad reaction to potato salad with mustard in it today...soooooo, I'm going to probably have to wait on that. lol

I will attack a buffalo chicken salad when I'm ready though. No lie. ;)

loveliveteach
on 1/18/12 1:16 pm
I haven't had my surgery yet but I imagine I will be thinking the same things! And I was worried about not being able to vent with food or cleaning. That is what I do now, as much as I know I shouldn't...I do. I bought a journal. I have no idea if I will use it but I figured it is there just in case! Good luck!!!
My actual goal is to be happy & healthy....doesn't matter what number that lands on.      
HW 253  VSG 7/31/12 SW233 One day & one step at a time! 
sleevegirl
on 1/18/12 1:49 pm - Austin, TX
Yeah, starches are still hard for me. I pretty much avoid potatoes, rice, bread, etc. Don't feel good in my tummy. My first food was pureed tuna with a dab of mayo and mustard and watered with pickled juice. LOL.

You'll eat things now that you will not DREAM of eating later. Promise.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

PaulaToronto
on 1/18/12 1:57 pm - Toronto, Canada
Drink decaf coffee and tea but buy the beans and have them ground  much better than instant. I have been drinking them all along with no problems.

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

ruggie
on 1/18/12 2:22 pm - Sacramento, CA
To that a terrific list of food to stop eating!  All poor choices after your surgery.  Congrats for taking the time to think aobut the kinds of foods you'll be needing to avoid! 

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

GrlDisappearing
on 1/18/12 9:11 pm - NY
Actually, I disagree with that, except for the french fries, obviously.

None of those foods are really 'bad', and they're all foods my surgeon has told me that I'm welcome to eat post-surgery once I'm fully healed.

AButterfly
on 1/18/12 2:46 pm
 if you work at this hard.. and you really really try.. i promise you the end result will REALLY be worth it.. I wouldnt trade skinny for ANY food in the world... 
"Just when the caterpillar thought its life was over... it became A Butterfly"     5'8

SW: 250lbs.. GW: 140.. Goal in 9 months.. LW: 114lbs.. CW: 130lbs.. New GW: 120lbs..

GrlDisappearing
on 1/18/12 9:18 pm - NY
I don't think the trade off to being sleeved is living in bland, boring food territory for the rest of your life, either. I enjoy cooking...I'm a bit of a foodie. The reason I had surgery is because I wasn't ever full, which makes it a bit difficult to stop eating, which isn't the case anymore, obviously.

I think that it's really easy to get into the habit of saying 'I'll just eat cottage cheese for dinner all week.' and that's not working, that's settling (at least to me). I want to work my sleeve for ME, and if that means that I eat a buffalo chicken salad once in awhile, or the rare two times a year my mom makes her caesar salad from scratch I get to have a little with my steak, and then have a small glass of wine after dinner, then so be it. It's not about being skinny for me, it's about taking control and being healthy. I can be healthy and not sacrifice anything. I didn't do this so that I could spend the rest of my life drinking chicken broth and protein shakes. I did it so that I could take control of my life again.

Don't get me wrong, I get what you're saying, but I I feel there's middle ground. :) 

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 17 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 17 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 191 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 278 views