Surgury Scheduled for Valentines Day!!

loveliveteach
on 1/18/12 3:00 pm
I am sooo excited that my sleeve surgery is scheduled for Valentines Day! Which also happens to be my 9yr anniversary with my fiance :) It is sure to be a day that we will not forget!

I realize that there are probably several topics on post op, and I have been lurking this site for days reading tons of them. But I still have questions!!

I am very surprised to read about the exhaustion and hair loss after surgery, my doctor did not mention ANY of that, are these common issues? And are there any preventative measures I can take?

Also, I am really hoping to get back to work in two weeks. The doctor is suggesting 6 weeks but with my job I really can't do that. I will not be doing anything strenuous, just sitting and walking. Any advice or tips on this? Do you think this is realistic, I really don't want to be out of work longer, I was actually hoping to go back in one week but the doctor said no way!

Thank you all for your help :) 

Ps...if you are reading that little ticker down there you are the first people to know my weight ever, in my entire adult life (other than doctors)!
My actual goal is to be happy & healthy....doesn't matter what number that lands on.      
HW 253  VSG 7/31/12 SW233 One day & one step at a time! 
hidngat39
on 1/18/12 7:49 pm - OK
VSG on 02/14/12

hi!

congrats on your surgery date! 

I got my call yesterday that my date is Feb 7th!  just a week apart!

As for the hair loss, yes-it is quite common if you don't get your protein and vitamins.  There are a lot of tips on this site and also when you search VSG on youTube.

happy surgery day!!

peggy

HW:253  SW:199  GW: 145

vacationlover
on 1/18/12 7:53 pm
LosingLZ
on 1/18/12 9:14 pm
Congratulations on your upcoming surgery!
Hair loss is very common, not really due to lack of protein and vitamins. It does not begin right away, but will last a few months. Mine is finally seeming to end and I am at 7 months. Maybe month 3 or 4 I noticed it?  My hair seems to be getting thicker already. I am surprised your surgeon didn't mention it, but I would not worry about it. It is so temporary.
Having said that, getting enough protein and vitamins will help with the energy level.That is why it is important to follow up with labs and see if everything is okay. I sometimes get super tired, but it is almost always as I drop weight quickly. I work a fairly strenuous job, long days, and I have never been so tired I couldn't do my regular activities.(I run a coffee house and work 10-14 hours a day, on my feet and moving).
I took two weeks off from work and went back a little early. It is important that you drink enough and don't do too much lifting (sounds like you don't need to). You may be more tired at the end of the day, at first, but I did fine.
Good luck to you!

hidngat39
on 1/19/12 1:28 am - OK
VSG on 02/14/12

Sorry-I did not mean that it is solely because of protein and vitamin deficiency, just that I have read & heard that is a major culprit-but, as you say, not the only one.

Everyone reacts differently to the new life/body.  Some have extra skin, some don't; some experience hair loss, others don't.  My co-worker was blessed enough to not have either-we can all pray for that and just be ready if we don't get it!

Best of luck to all!

loveliveteach
on 1/19/12 9:16 am
Thank you everyone!!!
My actual goal is to be happy & healthy....doesn't matter what number that lands on.      
HW 253  VSG 7/31/12 SW233 One day & one step at a time! 
hidngat39
on 1/19/12 10:15 pm - OK
VSG on 02/14/12

I really like your goal comment.  People ask what my goal is, but I have been overweight so long, I have no idea what it is-I've never been there!

My sister dieted to get to the 'ideal' weight posted in books for her height and it ended up being too thin for her; she was cold all the time.  So, she keeps it about 10 pounds above and that's her 'ideal'.

I think I'll use that mindset also--healthy and happy!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 314 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views