How soon did you go back to work?

lbarksdale1
on 1/26/12 12:14 pm - TN
VSG on 02/02/12

Hi OH! I am a week out from leaving 80% of my stomach in Tijuana and I came across a woman who also had VSG who told me that she was off work for 4 weeks after surgery and wishes she had 6 weeks. Not good. Now she's a nurse, so she is required to be on her feet alot, so hopefully since I sit behind a desk all day, I will be out no longer than 2 weeks. I know everyone's experience is different though, so how long was it before you felt up to going back to work?

moonglo82
on 1/26/12 12:17 pm
VSG on 03/29/12
My husband was out for about a week. He has a desk job, and from what he tells me, he was perfectly fine to return to work within that week. A friend of mine had a similar experience.

As a teacher, I am having mine done the middle of the week before spring break so that I have a whole week once I get home before I return, but I honestly don't anticipate returning being a struggle at that point.

But, like you said, everyone is different. What has your doctor said?

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

lbarksdale1
on 1/26/12 9:09 pm - TN
VSG on 02/02/12
The doctor said he will give me a note for 2 weeks, which I'm seriously hoping is enough because unfortunately, with my job, there really isn't a good time to be out for more than a week. I'm having he surgery on a Thursday and hope that I will be up to working from home at least a few hours a day the following week. We'll see if that is too ambitious, but I'm a workaholic.
christine2509
on 1/26/12 12:30 pm - canyon country, CA
my job in retail i couldnt stand for 5 mins after 2 weeks out i had to take more 2 weeks but if you have office work it wont be a problem for u
Nevada-Fluffy
on 1/26/12 1:01 pm - Henderson, NV
Hi, I am exactly 14 days post-op today (also in Tijuana!).  I had surgery on a Friday and back to work 10 days later, on a Monday.  I have a desk job.  Was a litle rough weekend right before returning (sore incision) so at that time I thought it wasn't long enough, but actually felt GREAT getting back to work and this week has been great.  Good luck!!!!
lbarksdale1
on 1/26/12 9:32 pm - TN
VSG on 02/02/12
Wow. That is great to hear. Thanks for the well wishes. I'm sure I'll need it. :)
frenchgrapes
on 1/26/12 1:03 pm - TX
I took three weeks off but didn't need it that much. My job is a desk job too. Had my surgery on Monday morning, home Tuesday morning. The rest of that week was sip, walk, sleep, sip, walk, sleep, moving slow but okay. The second week felt like I was still recovering but ready to get up and do stuff. Vacuumed the ceilings. Third week I was wishing the doctor could hurry up and see me so he could release me to go back to work. But, it was almost Christmas and time off is nice for the holidays so I made it through.

I also have a high tolerance level for discomfort and pain and I'd be healthy as a horse even if I was sick as a dog.

Also a lot depends on if there are any post surgery complications.
    CW 278 SW 260 GW 140    
melanie L.
on 1/26/12 1:18 pm

I work as a cashier in Target. The Dr told me to take 10 days off, his PA told me 2 weeks, I took 3 weeks off. The day I was released from the hospital that night I was walking around Target, the next day I was walking around a mall near me. I could of went back to work after 10 days. Thankfully my recovery was quick. I had the morphine pump from the time I was in the recovery room till the day I left. Had surgery on a monday, used the pump like crazy. Tuesday morning I sneezed, used the pump and that was it. i was released the next day, Wednesday afternoon. When I did go back to work, They gave me a chair which I didnt use, I told them I cant lift anything heavy, no problem there. I told my guest to leave heavy things in the cart and scanned them w/ the gun, I didnt make the bags too heavy, and for the bags that were heavy I told the guest I just had surgery can they take it. Many were shocked I went back to work so soon, my response, the bills need to be paid... 

cracsgrl
on 1/26/12 1:48 pm
 I had my surgery on a friday and was back at work by that Wednesday. I didn't have any problem at all and I am a caregiver for an elderly lady. I was given a Morphine pump after surgery and was allowed to use it every ten minutes. From Friday morning til saturday night I only used it 23 times. and some of those times I probably really didnt need it but used it each time I knew I was going to be standing up. They took my pump out Saturday night and from that point on I haven't had any pain meds. not even tylenol. Each person is so different in their experience. I haven't really heard one story that was the exact same as someone elses. So take your time and heal and when you think your ready thats when you will know. Go by the if it hurts don't do it rule. 

P_B
on 1/26/12 2:37 pm - Norfolk, VA
I took 4 weeks but my job required me to lift children all day long.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 91 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 311 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 361 views