Not hungry

MsLove01
on 1/28/12 2:25 pm - WA
I am coming up on 11 weeks and I am not hungry at all. I have my protein/coffee shake in the morning..and I could be fine the rest of the day. I have lost 43lbs, my goal was 100 so I am almost to the 50% mark. I have had good luck so far with no hair falling out, although I have been very moody and having depressive episodes. I am still having a difficult time with solids, so I eat nothing instead of having sliders.

I know this is bad. Can someone tell me how they dealt with this? I pack my lunch every day for work, but usually don't even touch it. I should be worried about malnutrition, I'm not taking my vitamins. But i am more worried that I will lose more weight than I want. I met a gal at my doctors office who was 100lbs, looked sick, and could not gain weight.

Marlene

moonglo82
on 1/28/12 3:04 pm
VSG on 03/29/12
What has your doctor said about this? Are you able to eat soft foods, or are they giving you a hard time as well?

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

KathyA999
on 1/28/12 3:16 pm
Eat anyway.  You say, "I should be worried about malnutrition...but I am more worried that I will lose more weight than I want."  YES, you should be worried about malnutrition.  Look it up, it's not pretty.  One of the symptoms of malnutrition CAN BE lack of hunger.  Start getting your 60 gms of protein per day thru protein drinks, and get your liquids in as well.  (Protein shakes count towards protein AND liquid daily requirements.)  Eat good (not slider) soft foods such as cottage cheese and greek yogurt (many people, myself included, need to add flavorings to make it palatable), tuna salad, chicken salad, refried beans.

Time to start getting the vites in too.  At a minimum, get a multi you can tolerate, calcium up to your doctor's recommendations (usually 1500 mg) and sublingual B-12.  Other supps as needed.

Back in my OA days I had a sponsor who had a stock response when I would say I didn't feel like doing something positive for myself:  "What does THAT have to do with it?  Do it anyway."

No one said this would be easy.  A lot of peeps go into this fully expecting to have pain or nausea or changes of tastes, or stomach acid, or whatever others report fairly commonly, and are more-or-less prepared to deal with it.  Lack of hunger just happens to be your particular post-op issue, and one that isn't reported as often, but you are no less responsible for dealing with it in order to maintain your health.  Time to put on your big-girl pants, hon.  You can do this!

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

hwag5149
on 1/28/12 3:19 pm
Ok so  can attack this from two angles...

#1 if the main goal of your surgery was to be healthy, then you are definitely not acheiving that by not eating or supplementing. Yes, you are losing weight but you are hurting your body. You need to force yourself to eat and you need to force yourself to take your supplements. Set an alarm and just do it. No buts about it. What is the difficulty that you are having with solids? If you give some examples, maybe people can tell you what they have done to make it more "mushy" friendly. Do you not like slider type foods or are you concerned that you will eat too many calories of the slider type foods? Also, are you supplementing with protein shakes at all?

#2 If the main goal of your surgery was to look better then you will definitely be more thin but you're right about possibly looking like the 100 pound lady... Not taking supplements or eating is a sure fire way to get to the point.

Give us some more information about the difficulties you're having with your food and maybe we can help. If it's just that you don't want to eat, then you just have to get over it. I totally don't want to eat and I'm NEVER hungry but I make myself do it. I'm trying to do 6 times a day. Today I will only accomplish 4 because I can't stand it but I try to get as close to 6 as I can and I really do complain the whole way.

HW 380.8+  SW- 371.4  CW- 234.4  GW- 200 

MsLove01
on 1/28/12 3:35 pm - WA

I do have one protein shake a day. My fridge has low carb yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, refried beans, cheese, jello...i just am not hungry. I have no appetite. Tonight I had 2oz canned chicken and I feel bloated and yucky. I went out for dinner yesterday and had two prawns and was full the rest of the day.

So it isn't so much a matter of what I am eating...i know how many grams of carbs/protein all that good stuff. It is literally that I am not hungry and feel so full when I eat just two bites.

Marlene

KathyA999
on 1/28/12 5:09 pm
So this far out you're probably not dealing with stomach swelling; that will have resolved by now.  Check with your surgeon, and possibly ask for an endoscopy to see if there's anything going on, maybe you have an adhesion or something....

In the meantime, work as hard as you can to get protein and liquids in.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

theshrinkingmimi
on 1/29/12 1:14 am
I don't see any reason for you to worry about losing too much weight when you are choosing to not eat.  It is not about whether you feel hungry.  It is about following the plan.

If you have a hard time with food, then talk to the surgeon, nurse, and nutritionist about it.  What foods are the hardest?- for me chicken breast is the hardest.  Do you have a hard time with fish?  

Why are you not taking vitamins?  There are liquid vitamins out there- like Vemma.  

BTW, don't bother worrying about someone you met at the doctor's office when you don't really know her lifestyle and medical history- people don't usually give all of the facts when you meet them in the waiting room.  It probably itsn't relevant to your situation anyway.

Take charge and be proactive about this. You will feel more in control which helps you feel mor empowered.
Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 80 views