Ready to say goodbye to this old life....

KSqtpie
on 2/5/12 2:44 pm - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 07/09/12
Wow...this process is going way too fast. I have 1 more week of pre-op NORMAL EATING. I thought at this point I would want to eat everything under the sun. I expected food funerals galore. This is the time to hit all my favorite restaurants and gobble up tons of pasta and breads, right? Well....it's quite the opposite, I am pretty numb towards food right now. I don't want it...I'm not even hungry. It's weird...I'm not craving soda or sweets. And when I try to think of the LAST SUPPER meals for this week, I can't really think of what I want. Maybe some steak? I don't really care. But on the other hand, I'm afraid I'm going to have surgery and then regret not having more food funerals or suddenly realize, "oh yeah, I forgot about ______...I should have eaten that!"

I just wish I had a couple more weeks to sort out my feelings. Either I'm emotionally shutting down or I really am throwing in the towel on my old life. I feel a little indifferent about it all...not excited, not scared, not nervous. Maybe I'm in denial?  Or maybe I'm at peace? Well, one thing I HAVE sorted out is that having food control my thoughts and cause me to worry like this is OLD. I can't wait to be free from this life and start LIVING!!
katier825
on 2/5/12 6:16 pm
It sounds to me like you've come to terms with it. In a very short time you will realize just how much you've missed out on and be more than ready to continue to lose and not miss any more. The first time I ran around the yard with the grandkids, I actually got a bit sad that I'd missed out on times like that. That will not happen anymore!!!

Food funerals aren't really necessary. There will come a day when you can eat anything, just in smaller portions. Some things that I used to love, I just don't enjoy anymore (pizza for example). For me that's a good thing because it's always the ones that make you fat in the first place that taste the best. LOL

I highly recommend using the time before your surgery to do get yourself set up for after. If you aren't already tracking your food/exercise, do so. You want to be sure you get your recommended amounts of protein, fluids, keep tabs on carbs, calories. I like MyFitnessPal, but there are others also. You can set up your favorites, put in your own recipes and it will calculate for you, etc. Things that you eat together can me made into "meals" so that it's quick and easy to log your food. I still plan out my days for the most part and while I'm having my tea in the morning, I put in my food for the day, except for dinner. I never know what hubby will decide to cook for dinner. I prepped a bunch of mushy foods ahead of time and froze into ice cube trays. Each cube is about 1 oz. It made it easier to fix lunch when going back to work. Weigh or measure your foods. Start practicing taking very small bites and chewing until your food is mush. Put your fork down between bites, remove the glass from the table so you aren't drinking while eating. It does take a bit to get used to the changes, but they will become your new normal soon.

Good luck!
Anne D.
on 2/5/12 8:59 pm
Good luck on this journey, you will do just fine. Don't worry about food funerals, you will be able to eat regular food again, just less of it. Just think of it as a mini vacation from food, and when you return from that vacation you will have a new, healthier relationship with food.

SouthernmostStar
on 2/6/12 3:45 am
VSG on 01/25/12
I agree with the previous posters.  At some point if you really really want a particular food, you'll be able to have it -- just a very small, much appreciated, portion.

I didn't do any food funerals.  I'm not saying goodbye to things that I loved; I've said good riddance to the destructive, unhealthy way in which I used to eat them. 

It sounds like you're more at peace and content with your decision.  Good for you!

Good luck with your surgery,
Mary

Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

MelissaMommyto5
on 2/7/12 6:20 am
VSG on 02/16/12
I had a very similar approach the last week or so before I started the liquid diet. I live an hour from anywhere with decent restraunts...Joplin, MO. We 'went to town' & did eat out...so I picked my favorite restraunt & favorite dish while I was there, but we wouldn't have made a special trip for it. A couple days ago (already on liquid diet) I thought...oh man, I should've had some lemon chicken before starting my liquid phase, but the thought passed almost as quickly as it came on. I've read enough to know that I'm not having to say goodbye to my favorites, just goodbye to the enormous portions & shoveling into my mouth without thinking! I must have 'grazed' 10x more than I would have ever admitted because I have to consciously remind myself 10-15x/day not to pick up food that is available. I do daycare so I make all the kids' meals...yada yada...I was rounding up all the prepared food that was not on dishes to put back in the fridge & wanted to pop a piece of grilled chicken in my mouth & almost did...until my brain kicked in & said "don't do that!"

It was an odd feeling to not scrounge for every 'last meal' I could find, I thought I would want to too...but I have a feeling, those of us that have already come to terms with the significance of the change we are entering will have better success & easier maintenance.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 270 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views