OMG-Surgery Feb 23rd...What do I buy?

Mary M.
on 2/10/12 6:53 am - MD
I didn't know my surgery would come so quickly.  I thought I was prepared but now I'm freaking out.  I'm ready to go buy every item mentioned in the print-outs given at the classes.  I know I probably would not use half of it.  Could those of you who have gone through this please give me some direction.  Should I buy the protein powder from Costco (I'm told it is a lot cheaper), or I hear Trader Joe's has single serve cans of Chocolate Protein drink.  Can I use any multivitamin or does it have to be from Bariatric Advantage?  Thank you for any advise...Yeah!
ready2sleeve
on 2/10/12 7:06 am - CA
Hey NFLMINMD,

Please refrain from buying a lot of things your taste buds will be off for a little bit, the most I would say is to buy some sugar free popsicles (no fruit added) some gatorade g2, broth of any kind, light yogurt, and some type of protein drink either ready made at a local store, or unjury no flavor protein powder. I was on this this diet for 6 weeks and I went out and bought a lot of things I did not use. As you get stronger and on to solids then you can try and add different things to your cabinet.

Hope that helps

Carla

Pre-op: 320, SW: 298, CW 194,  Doctors goal 180,  My GW 160   
Ricky729
on 2/10/12 7:15 am
 whey protein shake , sugar free pudding, sugar free popsicles , vitamin water, gastric strips for the gas, yup. Let me see what else lots of water, chicken broth and, sugar free jello. If I think of anything else I will let you know.

maryelly
on 2/10/12 7:16 am - MD
Not sure who your Doctor is, but mine did not require me to take vitamins until about four days after I got home and started full liquid. I use liquid multivitamin, calcium and B12 from vitamin world. The only  thing I really used the first few days home was broth and water, I brought the little one oz cups home from the hospital and used them the first 2-3 days. I noticed my taste changed some and crave different things now, so I go to the grocery almost everyday to see what looks good. At 10 days post-op looking forward to pureed stage on Monday. I did stock up on Unjury unflavored and use it in my shakes and soup. Hope this helps, Good luck!
HW 267  SW 227 GW 150    

kimm74
on 2/10/12 7:17 am
I am scheduled the same day as you!!!
MelissaMommyto5
on 2/10/12 8:02 am
VSG on 02/16/12
My NUT said that as long as the protein drinks are 15g+ of protein & under 10g of carbs they will be fine. You have to find what suits your tastes.

As for the vitamins, I've heard lots of controversy & I'm not an expert...but this is my plan (based on my surgeon's recommendations)...Bariatric Fusion has a chewable multivitamin/mineral that supposedly has everything we need in it. Right now I'm taking 1x/day. 7 days after surgery I'll start taking 2/day. Supposedly, I won't need to add the other supplements if I take that but we'll see. It's only $24 for 120 (thus 2mo worth) so I'm starting there & if my labs show any deficiencies I'll make changes then.

Best wishes! I'm goin in in 6 days!
Mary M.
on 2/10/12 10:43 pm - MD
Thank you very much.  Good luck with your surgery.  Love your Avatar picture.
lnbrack
on 2/10/12 8:03 am - ALPHARETTA, GA
VSG on 02/23/12
 My surgery is also on the Same day. Since Im on my liquid pre-op diet until then I did get a good bit of Unjury unflavored Protein and have used it in my chicken broth I have also got some sugar free popsicles also and Bariatric Advantage Orange Cream Flavored Protein Powder thats it so far everything else I will just wait to see what my tastebuds will like after surgery so I dont spend or waste a lot of money
Mary M.
on 2/10/12 10:45 pm - MD
Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure I get the sugar free popsicles..is it for getting in your h2o?  If that is the case, how many would you have to eat to equal ? much water?  Thank you
Rouxful
on 2/10/12 8:42 am
Cottage Cheese
Greek Yogurt
Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
Light Cheese
Tofu
Edamame
Crystal Light

These should get you started, just try and keep your carbs under 30g a day and don't overdo it at mealtimes if at all possible.

HW 403 / SW 372 / CW 204 / GW 199    

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 314 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views