Did you have to appeal to have the VSG?

lteyelizzy
on 2/12/12 2:23 am

Well, I finally got my denial letter in the mail, and now I have to send a letter for the appeal.  Has anyone had a decision turn around with the appeal?  I am just not very good with writing things out, and I didn't know if anyone had any advice on what you would put in it.  My insurance is Humana, and they do cover it, but you have to have a BMI of over 50, which I do not.

Thanks in advance!

(deactivated member)
on 2/12/12 4:27 am
VSG on 02/16/12
MelissaMommyto5
on 2/12/12 4:52 am
VSG on 02/16/12
I'm so sorry to hear about your denial letter. My acceptance letter was one of the best days of my life so I can only imagine the extreme heartache of a denial. I would start with your surgeon/office staff for guidance on how to appeal. I'm guessing your not the first to be denied so let their experience with insurance help you out.
BJUpNorth
on 2/12/12 9:54 am - MN
Hi Iteyelizzy,

I was denied on my first try for a VSG. After asking on here for advice, some really wonderful people gave me lots of help. I have a copy of my appeals letter on my page. Please help yourself to whatever information is helpful for you.

Good luck. I am sure that you will soon win your appeal and join us all here on the losers bench!

Brenda

mrsfloflo
on 2/12/12 11:58 pm - Grand Prairie, TX
I was denied TWICE. Never give up! Check with your doctor first to see what they can do. However, one of the things that helped me was my own letter and reviewing what the doctor had submitted (I found some mistakes, which really upset me, but I moved forward and appealed on my own). I then made myself  a phone schedule to call and follow up every two days.

Getting the approval over the phone was a double victory for me. I fought for myself for the first time in a long time!

Wish you the best.
"Enjoying my life and the confidence to experience more!
My support system: God, my husband, my family and wonderful friends!! I am so richly blessed and God is a God of second chances and this is one He has blessed me with and I'm not taking it for granted!!! Yeah

Hollyhock
on 2/13/12 1:10 am - VA
I was denied, too, but after quite a battle got it covered. See my blog for more info. Hang in there!
5'7"  VSG on 6/6/2011  HW 224, SW 214, CW 144  
Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 59 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 59 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 235 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 308 views