IUD/birth control and blood clots during surgery

dianne220
on 2/15/12 12:10 pm - TX
VSG on 10/02/12
My doctor is supposed to look into the Mirena IUD and whether I need to have it taken out before surgery.  If this happens, does it have to be out for a while before surgery?  Does anyone know if it has to be taken out?  Just curious.  Should I call the doctor and ask again?  I am waiting for approval now.  Just nervous, I guess.  
katie M.
on 2/15/12 12:18 pm
VSG on 03/29/12
I don't see why it would.  I have Mirena and my surgeons office knows that and nobody has ever said anything about it having to be taken out.  If it does, I've heard it's very easy to remove (by your GYN) and you shouldn't have to wait (since Mirena has little to no medicine in it).....which is why I'm curious why you would have to have it out to begine with.  I'd love to know how this turns out b/c I really don't want to take mine out...I've only had it for a year and I don't want to pay to have another one put back in!
dianne220
on 2/15/12 12:34 pm - TX
VSG on 10/02/12
I hope not either!  I love my Mirena.  No female time ever and no cramps either.  He just mentioned he'd look into it to make sure.  As the time's getting closer (hopefully) I just want to have all my ducks in a row.  
katie M.
on 2/16/12 4:50 am
VSG on 03/29/12

The nurse practitioner from my surgeons office called me today for another reason and while I had her on the phone I asked about Mirena.  She said that there is absolutely no reason that it needs to come out and as a matter of fact, it's the best birth control to have after surgery!  Hope this makes you feel better!

quintons_mommy200

on 2/15/12 12:34 pm
There are LOTS of us who have a Mirena IUD and did during surgery. Not sure why they'd need to remove it. I certainly don't store mine in my stomach. :)

Sassy B
on 2/15/12 1:35 pm
Left my Mirena in for surgery. Doc said he would consider using slightly elevated anti-clot meds post-op.

No issues.

5'9", 31 year-old female pescetarian VSGer!   ///   Surgery by Dr. Steven Clark on 14-Oct-2012.

Monique B.
on 2/15/12 1:45 pm

What. Dr are you. Going. W? I'm in Texas also and I'm looking for a travel bud___dy to Mexico. So keep in touch
SmallerKenah
on 2/15/12 5:06 pm
VSG on 02/14/12
 I just was sleeved on Valentines day and my doctor didn't make me take it out
dianne220
on 2/15/12 8:58 pm - TX
VSG on 10/02/12
Thanks everyone!!  I think maybe he was looking into it so he could increase the anti-clot med's.  So thanks for that reminder! 

I am going to Dr. Bell in Amarillo.  He's new here and I am really impressed so far.  He's so thorough and his patients love him.  I am going to another support group next week to talk to his patients again.  Noone has complaints so far. 

Say a little prayer that I get my approval!!!
kam0520
on 2/15/12 9:36 pm - AL
Hormones were a big concern of mine.  HUGE concern.  I sat down with my GYN several months before surgery and we made a game plan out.  I was on oral hormones and I told him I didn't want to be on hormones b/c of the risk of clots, and he actually suggested the Mirena.  I opted against it and just weened off my hormones and have had great results.  But, my point is that they were going to use the Mirena b/c in his opinion it was the safest.  
www.kasleeved.com the (almost) daily journey after VSG

Eat to live, don't live to eat.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 291 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 343 views