new here

Laurie A.
on 2/23/12 7:18 am
RNY on 08/21/12
Hi everyone! I have been on the RNY board for awhile, but am now thinking I might have a sleeve done instead. I don't really want to deal with the malabsorption issues long term that happens with RNY. Anyway, I am wondering how are the results with the sleeve? At our orientation meeting, the surgeon said on average only 50% of excess weight is able to be lost with the sleeve. I currently weigh 262 and have a goal of 130. Is that possible with the sleeve? Also, are there any permenant life style changes that need to be made (other than the obvious of healthier eating and exercising! lol)?

Also is the recovery about the same (off 6 weeks as I'm a nurse and do heavy lifting)?

Thanks for any help you can offer!
The Lord will not give me more than I can handle! Through Him, all things are possible!!        
Shagdoll
on 2/23/12 7:48 am
Hi there,
I have Kaiser & my PCP told me that weight loss was the same for both surgeries but it takes longer to reach goal with a VSG. Then my surgeon told me that losing 70% of my excess weight was more realistic. He told me if my weight loss stopped with me having about 40-50 more pounds to go, he could do a bypass. I was like HELL TO THE NO. I haven't reached goal yet but I plan to hopefully by my 1 year surgiversary in August. A lot depends on the individual & how bad you want to lose all the weight. Changing your eating habits & exercising is critical for most people. If you read more on here, you will see alot of people *****ached goal & some who have gone below their original goal.
If it's doable for others to reach goal with the sleeve, then I believe I can reach goal too.
Hope that helps a little.
Laurie A.
on 2/23/12 8:27 am
RNY on 08/21/12
It does help. Thanks. This procedure just seems safer overall for the long term, I may have just changed my surgery! lol. I guess that happens when more research is done.
The Lord will not give me more than I can handle! Through Him, all things are possible!!        
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 84 views