This is supposed to happen... right?

kahlana
on 2/28/12 10:39 pm - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
So i started out the week at 184 which was awesome. I have been careful to put protein first at meal times and have been working out for an hour everyday. I do stretching and toning on a balance ball for 1/2 an hour and cardio for 1/2 an hour.  i'm not seeing any changes in my measurements but my weight has gone back up 6 pounds so far this week. Not sure if it has to do with my hormones or not but I used to gain about 5 to 7 pounds during that TOM but I have had a hysterectomy so I'm pretty certain that isn't it. Also while I am not seeing any changes in measurements i am seeing a difference in how clothing fits. Things aren't so bumpy under tighter fitting clothes.
According to my nifty new scale I have a 2% increase in muscle mass but my BMI is now up 2% as well. i am not freaking out or anything just wondering if anyone knows if its normal

My Blog My Facebook

Michelle T.
on 2/28/12 10:50 pm - OH
...it's simply muscle weight. It seems to mess with everyone's head...including mine!
You're doing everything right! Keep up the good work!

m ~
rhearob
on 2/28/12 10:57 pm - TN
 Something similar happened to me recently.  I came back from a trip in January, had lost five lbs.  Then my weight started climbing.  I had gained back the 5 lbs in nothing flat.  It took me a week or so to start losing again.  

When I talked to my surgeon about it.  He told me it happens to everybody.  That sometimes your body just needs to take a breather and catch up.  You are going through so many changes that things just need to adjust a bit.  Stay on your plan, and the weight will come off.

I have noticed for me that I go into little mini-stalls whenever something changes in my chemistry.  Two weeks ago my PCP told me to stop taking my Blood pressure meds.  A couple of dyas later, I stopped losing for about 10 days.  My weight started dropping again today, and I finally brok my 50% mark.

For me I like to manage by the numbers, but the trick there is to not let the numbers stress you out.  You will get situations where you build muscle mass, and muscle is denser than fat - so you may not notice a change in weight or BMI but you will notice changes in your body compisition.

Stary on PLan, Keep doing what your surgeon tells you to do, and you will be OK.  

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

cece58
on 2/28/12 11:38 pm - CA
 Stretching and toning and cardio will not put on 6 lbs of muscle. Also, your BMI is measured by height and weight so of course, your BMI will go up when your weight goes up. I wouldn't worry about the fluxuation unless the 6 lbs stay on for a while. You sound like you are doing all the right things so just keep looking forward and try to ignore the short term fluxuations in your weight. 
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us"
Lisa

DANIELLE H.
on 2/28/12 11:57 pm - ADAMSTOWN, MD
Just stick to your plan. I think most have had the similar issues at one point or the other in their journey. I had a hysterectomy in 98 and still have a bloating time, not every month but about every 3-4 months. Doctor says its do to hormones.

You are doing good, keep rockin' that sleeve.
   HW 296 SW 247.5 (11-14-11)

califsleevin
on 2/29/12 12:05 am - CA
As noted, it's unlikely to be muscle mass, as you have to do serious long term work to build it (it's hard enough trying to keep what we have as we lose fat!) The typical thing that is seen is hydration changes as we hold and lose water from various mechanisms - TOM, travel altering diet/exercise patterns, body catching its breath, etc. I typically gain 2-3 lb when I travel, and then it comes off within a few days. Also med changes can do it - we are often on some form of diuretic as part of blood pressure control.

Here is a great article on the mechanism of the dreaded stall -

http://www.dsfacts.com/weight-loss-stall-or-plateau.html

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 87 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 301 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 348 views