Wendys Chili

getmylifeback12
on 2/28/12 8:36 am - NY
Im curious about Wendys Chili. I have read a lot of people eat it here.  Is it just because it is convenient? I made a large pot of turkey chili, measured out  1/2 cup servings and froze them. When I leave for work its one of the things I can just grab out of the freezer. It is thawed by lunch time and I just microwave it for a minute. Is Wendys chili particularly low in carbs? or is the taste just really good? should I be trying this instead of my own? I cant picture me going to Wendys without getting some yummy FRIES!!!  I was a fast food JUNKIE. Im scared to even drive by. I hate to take the chance if its not worth it.
Traci M.
on 2/28/12 8:48 am - CT
VSG on 03/13/12
I think its because its convenient.I'm sure yours taste way better its homemade I know my chilli blows wendys out the water lol just sayin.But I guess if I was out with friends and I had to choose something chilli would be the best.Just my opinion.

Traci

RyanJS
on 2/28/12 8:58 am - CA
VSG on 02/21/12 with
Its a convenient healthy meal for you. It does taste AWESOME in my opinion however I'm sure you can make it better on your own with spices you like

Heaviest Weight: 330 Goal Weight: 175 Current Weight: 150
"Hit Goal in 3 1/2 Months!!!"
"Nothing is impossible. The word itself says I'M POSSIBLE!!!"
"No one said it was going to be easy, but it will definitely be worth it"

Ms Shell
on 2/28/12 8:59 am - Hawthorne, CA
I've eaten it because it is pretty tasty and its WAY convenient and better then "other" things I could/would grab.

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

Kevin H.
on 2/28/12 9:04 am - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 I just had it for the first time since before my surgery and it was ok but I have been having trouble with heartburn and food feeling "stuck" in my stomach after I eat it.  It went down pretty well but I could feel my heartburn acting up after eating it.  After some Tums it wasnt so bad.  It is not very spicy for chili but I think that is why its ok for a sleeve.  If it were spicy I wouldnt be able to handle it .. i would be suffering lol.

KSqtpie
on 2/28/12 9:20 am - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 07/09/12
I am sure it is a convenience thing, because you could definitely make a healthier homemade chili. A small Wendys chili has 880 mg of sodium....which is why it tastes so yummy! And if you add a hot chili sauce packet that will add another 270 mg of sodium...yikes! The rest of the info is as follows: 6g fat, 210 calories, 21 carbs. Hope that helps
hidngat39
on 2/28/12 9:23 am - OK
VSG on 02/14/12

Having worked as a Wendy's Manager for 13+ years, I can attest to it being low-fat; just tomato products, veggies, beans and beef.  And the spices that make it yummy.  I really like it, but dr says no beef for 6 months, so, I have to wait.  :(

If it is not spicy enough for you, ask for their gold pkts of hot-sauce-it's really tasty too!

HW:253  SW:199  GW: 145

A H.
on 2/28/12 12:25 pm
Revision on 02/09/12
 Someone I know who claims to have worked at Wendy's told me they use all the old burger patties to make the chili. Made me want to wretch. Tell me it isn't so!?

Band (09/07) removed, revised to sleeve 2/9/12.

hidngat39
on 2/28/12 12:39 pm - OK
VSG on 02/14/12

Ok, I feel the need to explain that comment.  The patties are not old, they are just not burger quality.

Wendy's stages burger patties to make sure the burger you get is hot off the grill and cooked to the correct degree.  As you can imagine, sometimes, the burgers get a bit overdone and you wouldn't want it for lunch, so those patties are transferred to a pan in the refrigerator.

When it is time to make a pot of chili, those pre-cooked patties are counted out into a pan to specific amount, covered with water and boiled to get all the grease out of them.  The water is poured off and the meat is chopped very fine, then added to the chili to cook for 4 hours.

The patties are not old, they are just no longer standard for the hot 'n juicy burger we've come to expect from Wendy's.

HW:253  SW:199  GW: 145

jaded123
on 2/29/12 2:19 am - MD
Thanks for that explanation!  I love Wendy's chili, and have it probably once a week :)

HW: 310 /  Lost 15 on pre-op diet  /  SW: 295  /  CW: --- /  GW: 170-175

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 276 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views