Do You Drink Carbonated Beverages?

Nikkal
on 3/14/12 6:29 pm
VSG on 07/18/13
 its worth noting that this article is written based on RNY, and may not apply to VSG.

it'lI be tough for me to avoid carbonation forever - I adore diet coke & beer & prosecco!

Kevin H.
on 3/14/12 6:43 pm, edited 3/14/12 7:44 pm - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 Where does it say that it only applies to RNY?  In paragraph 3 it gives an example regarding bypass but did you not read the other paragraphs?  Thats all just "general" information not just regarding bypass.  It gives quiet a few reasons why its bad no matter which type of surgery you had.  It gives reasons why its bad if you had no surgery at all!

Enjoy it if you must but I was just trying to be helpful.  My daughter gives me several excuses why she doesn't want to quit smoking too when I try to get her to quit.  That doesn't mean its not unhealthy to do.  I think everyone pretty much knows that soda and cigarettes are bad for you, even diet soda is so full of man made chemicals its probably worse then regular soda and there are quite a few articles regarding that very topic.   It's very interesting to think that people know certain things are bad for them, yet something makes them ignore the facts, pretend it wont happen to them, justify it somehow and continue to do it.  I'm guilty of it too at times.  Just saying ...

Krazydoglady
on 3/14/12 10:21 pm - FL
I don't drink carbonation, and I don't drink sugary stuff at all; however, there are statements in the article that are RNY specific, as noted above, and not all that well supported. For example, the association between caffeine and calcium levels in urine is a) weak, and b) not proved that caffeine is causitive.  Caffeine, in general,  gets a very bad rap that's largely undeserved. 

With VSG there is no pouch and no stoma. The pouch in a RNY is made out of fundus -- the stretchy part of the stomach that is removed during VSG. We have a sleeve made of the least stretchy part of the stomach instead.  The stoma is the new opening between pouch and intestines created with RNY.  Our anatomy hasn't been shifted like that, we still have a pyloric valve. The sleeve does have higher positive pressure than an unsleeved stomach, and adding fizz to it isn't likely to stretch much but it's going to make that pressure higher. I'm not a fan of bloating or farting, so I'll pass, generally, on the fizzy stuff.

Carolyn

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

Kevin H.
on 3/14/12 11:47 pm - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 Oh i definitely agree.  Paragraph 3 is most definitely talking about RNY.  I was just saying that much of the rest of the article applies to whoever, surgery or not. 

Like I said, this is just one doctors opinion.  There are other opinions out there to be sure.   It all sounds reasonable though why you should not partake in these beverages.

I can't imagine there being many doctors however that would tell you that drinking soda is healthy to begin with, surgery or not and that is why we got this surgery to begin with.  To lead a healthier lifestyle right?

Whatever each of us decide is a personal choice.  We have to decide for ourselves if we want to risk it or not.

annatschida
on 3/15/12 7:56 am - Shakopee, MN
This is really good, thank you for posting it! I needed the info!

Kevin H.
on 3/15/12 7:59 am - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 My pleaure.  I needed the motivation by reading it myself since I was recently tempted to buy a coke.  Reading things like this help me get my head back on straight.

HappyHunny
on 3/14/12 2:23 pm
I can drink  beer...I couldnt before but now im about year ahd half out and i can prob drink 4-5 ish without any trouble idk if thats good or bad
prevsgcrys
on 3/14/12 4:55 pm - OH
my plan says yes after so long, I cant say exactly how long, but I never want to know, because mentally when I see someone drinking a dt mt dew, sometimes I want one so bad...but I want weight loss more..so I am able to fend them off, I know roux n y and the sleeve are totally different..but my bff had roux n y and the best advice she gave me was once you stop something do not start it, as it opens up the door for all the old habits to creep back in...
Maybe make it flat?
that was the other option my surgeons office said
sleevegirl
on 3/14/12 5:26 pm - Austin, TX
I've had a few accidental sips along the way (grabbed a kid's drink instead of mine or hubby or whatever) and each and every time it feels like I'm that chick from Alien and something is trying to fight it's way out of my chest. It lasts a few minutes, but dude... it's not worth it. I just don't drink them.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Kevin H.
on 3/14/12 7:00 pm, edited 3/14/12 7:10 pm - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 Yesterday I nearly broke down and bought a coke.  I used to drink about a 2 liter of coke per day before surgery.  It was one of my worst addictions to food and one of the main reasons of my weight gain with all those useless liquid calories that don't even fill you up.  I loved it though.  I never have been big on hanging out in bars or getting drunk, so when they told us to avoid alcohol completely to avoid transfer addiction it was no biggie for me.  After 18+ years of hauling drunks to the E.R. everyday and night, I really look down on alcohol to begin with.  Nothing like getting shocked out of your sleep at 3:30 am to go take a drunk laying on the sidewalk to the E.R.

After thinking about it for a few seconds though (buying a coke) I put it out of my head.  To start drinking coke again would surely mean disaster for me and meeting my goals.  It's like a recovering drug addict saying he will only do 1 cap of heroin and fooling himself that he will not do it again. 

Years ago I went for a consult about WLS with a different surgeon and once he found out I was still drinking soda, he stood up, told me to come back when I got serious about all this and ended the meeting stating that as long as I'm dumping liquid calories down my throat he refused to operate.  It took me several years since then to get back on the bandwagon and actually "git er done" as Larry the Cable Guy would say.  

Here I am, loosing weight and a HUGE part of that is from no longer drinking soda.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 71 views