Do You Drink Carbonated Beverages?

Margo N.
on 3/15/12 5:17 am
I have an occasional diet coke - mostly avoid cola because of the calcium depletion associated with phosphoric acid. I often have seltzer or club soda mixed with a packet of crystal light.

I have looked and have found NO evidence that carbonation can stretch the sleeve - our stomachs are not all that stretchy and also have two directions in which gas can escape - it is not a closed system that will expand like a balloon filled with a carbonated drink.

My restriction is still fantastic and the absorption problems I have (iron mainly) are due in part to not enough acid in my stomach, rather than too much (Happens with gastrectomy, plus use of Nexium)

My take on it (although I agree that the no carbonation thing is often based on fearmongering and not on research) is:

1) Probably best to follow your surgeon's orders
2) If it hurts to drink carbonated stuff, don't do it
3) We are all advised not to eat while drinking, and this is true also of the carbonated stuff
4) If you feel compelled to accompany your cola or beer or whatever with massive quanitities of potato chips, or salted peanuts, or fast food, etc - maybe it's a good idea not to have any carbonation
5) Colas are implicated in calcium loss
6) There is some indication that drinking/eating even sugar free sweet stuff can stimulate an undesirable insulin response - but if I am going to drink Crystal Light at all, I fail to see the difference between using still water or sparkling water for the liquid in terms of insulin.
Margo - Burnaby, British Columbia HW 283 / SW 269 / GW 160 (I'm 5'8")
Check out my blog at http://www.vsggoodlife.com/

laurak712
on 3/15/12 11:18 am - New Braunfels, TX
I got permission from my Doc to drink it after a year.  I have never had much desire for soda even before surgery so I only drink it occasionally and it doesn't bother me at all and has NOT affected my restriction.  I am over 3 years out.

Laura

Height 5' 7

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views