How do you take prescription meds postop?

DanaSue
on 3/15/12 9:57 am

My surgery is scheduled on April 2.  I still have another appt with my surgeon before surgery and I'm sure he will tell me then, but I have been wondering how I will take my hypertension meds post op.  I am on 3 blood pressure meds.
Are you able to swallow a pill postop or does the med have to be crushed and mixed with water?

Sara M.
on 3/15/12 9:59 am - CA
VSG on 03/06/12
It depends on the medication.

If it is a capsule, often can open it up and pour it over a teeny tiny bit of applesauce or juice on a spoon.

I would speak to the pharmacist as well as the doctor about what methods are okay for each particular med.

Consult: 270   Surgery: 256   1 Month: 237    2 Mos: 223   3 Mos: 208    4 Mos: 198
5 Mos: 188    6 Mos:178     7 Mos: 169
acochr2
on 3/15/12 10:00 am
 crushing it would be a good idea. i was sent home from the hospital with 3 different nausea meds (i threw up for 3 days) and i was able to swallow them but they were relatively small and felt weird hitting my stomach. if they are larger pills i would suggest cutting them in halves but you should be fine. 
grisaille
on 3/15/12 10:16 am - NC
I knew I would have to take my psych drugs post-op and the Depakote had to be changed to a non-extended release form first off. Then post-op when I tried to take these pills (especially the first few days when the stomach is still swollen), I tried cutting in half, then cutting fourths and still they got stuck and I was so miserable. So I called my shrink and found out that medicine was available as a syrup. Now based on the size vitamins I can take, I would be very willing to go back to the pills themselves.

Now Duke would not release me to home until I could control my pain and nausea with pills so I was taking pills right away.

And now 24 days later, I was taken off MY blood pressure - so am now off all diabetic medications, cholesterol medication and now blood pressure . . .

HW 369  SW 369 GW 199
hwag5149
on 3/15/12 2:25 pm
Why non extended release? I was just given a new type of metformin that is extended release...

HW 380.8+  SW- 371.4  CW- 234.4  GW- 200 

(deactivated member)
on 3/15/12 10:27 am
I was able to swallow pills the day I came home.
kam0520
on 3/15/12 11:02 am - AL
I never had to crush or mix my pills at all.  They may take you off some/reduce your meds.  My husband came home with NO BP meds and I came home with mine reduced.  

You will just have to see how you handle taking them.  They sent us home with pill stool softner and nausea meds and prilosec capsules which are actually fairly big and neither me or my hubby had a problem and he is a BIG BABY about taking pills!  LOL  

I wouldn't worry about it too much, sleeve isn't quite like the RNY where they can't take big pills.  The only liquid we were given was liquid lortab and when I needed a refill they gave me tablets.  

GOOD LUCK!!!!
www.kasleeved.com the (almost) daily journey after VSG

Eat to live, don't live to eat.
Shanester66
on 3/15/12 11:09 am - PA
VSG on 02/09/12
I still swallow the few meds that I have to take...never had a problem...tried to do Nexium opened up in some jello....GROSS...NEVER AGAIN!! 
Thanks for all the help!!

doggz109
on 3/15/12 11:21 am - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
I don't have to take that many large meds.  I was able to take them once I got home no problem.....no crushing no mixing.

Just downed with a sip of water.  I didn't have any horse pills though.

I was able to start downing Citrical Petites about 2 weeks post op.
Debbie R.
on 3/15/12 1:12 pm - Cedar Hill, TX
VSG on 02/27/12

My surgeon reguired meds to be crushed & I just this past week started taking without crushing them. The taste was so awful. My surgeon's nurse said anything smaller than a M & M we could swallow. Bigger than that
crush or chew! I would follow your surgeon's directions

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 56 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 56 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 227 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 303 views