Will I ever be able to eat again?

Mary M.
on 3/19/12 11:29 am - MD
I am almost at the end of week 4 post-op and I am scared to death right now...I have not had success with the pureed foods.  Every time I have tried to eat something I can't get more than a few bites in, and I am full.  I never can count the protein grams in the food because I don't get enough food in to count.   The past two nights I have experienced my first "dumping" and tonight I didn't get sick, but I spent 45 minutes with the horrible "stuck" feeling and thought I was going to have an anxiety attack before it was all over.  Now that it seems to have subsided I'm just so emotional.  I'm afraid I won't be able to eat again.
Is this normal?  Does it take some people longer to get to food?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you all.
SassyItalian
on 3/19/12 11:38 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
Ok, my dear. First, breathe!

There could be a few things going on here.

First, contact your surgeon to make sure he doesnt have any concerns with this issue. Are you able to keep down full liquids/protein shakes/milk?

Next, there are some things that seem to go down easier than others. If you are pureeing chicken breast, you could have a problem. Its too dry. Have you tried ricotta cheese, cottage cheese, string cheese, mini babybel cheese? Those things tend to go down easier.

You also need to make sure you are eating SLOW.

My guess is you might be a bit more swollen than others. Your swelling might be worse, which means liquids may be best for an extra week or 2, then retry. Or try those things I mentioned and see how it goes.

I want you to know, that I could only eat a few bites of anything also. A couple of weeks out I could only eat 1/2-1 TBSP of pureed food at a time. Some people can eat a few ounces, but not me. That's why it is so vital to make sure you are still supplementing with protein shakes, milk, and water!

The first few months are rough, but you will be able to eat again!

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

Mary M.
on 3/19/12 11:50 am - MD
Hi, thank you for your reply.  I am able to keep the protein shakes/water down.  And the cottage cheese type foods didn't get stuck...I just couldn't eat more than a few bites.
What you said about being swollen makes sense.  I am just getting over the left sided pain and I went to the Dr today for an infected incision.  The Dr said he is okay with me still being on the protein drinks for now.  It helps to know you couldn't eat much in the beginning also.  Thank you soooooo much, Mary
tdjf_3
on 3/19/12 11:40 am
Breathe Sweetie =) Yes you will be able to eat again. As far as not being able to get your protein in just do your best. The stuck feeling may have come from taking too big a bite or drink. You have to learn how your new tummy eats & drink I know it's sounds funny but it's true. Keep your head up do your best to get what you need (protein & water)

God Bless & Happy Losing!!!!                 
Mary M.
on 3/19/12 11:56 am - MD
Thank you for your kind words...just having someone call me sweetie right now means a lot!  They weren't kidding when they said emotions can go a bit crazy after surgery.  Take care and thank you, Mary
rico255
on 3/19/12 12:10 pm - TX
at first u will only be able to have a couple of bites.. its normal make sure ur getting enough water and protien to supplement urself untill u can start eatting more.. i honeslty didnt begin to really eat solids untill about 6 weeks i had trouble holding it down. now i can eat about 1 ounce at a time :)

kwiegs3856
on 3/19/12 12:51 pm - PA
VSG on 01/05/12
  I was also the same as you, just a few bites was all I could take in.   Now, at 9-10 weeks even I can only eat   1 1/2 to 2 oz only at each meal.  I am satisfied with that little amount also.

Mary M.
on 3/20/12 6:12 am - MD

Thank you for your reply.  I am just going to take it slow.  As long as I get my protein in then I'll let the rest fall into place when the time is right.  Have a great day,  Mary

Mary M.
on 3/20/12 6:16 am - MD
Thank you for taking the time to respond.  I thought I was supposed to jump in and be able to eat a couple ounces right from the start.  Now, I have learned from reading others stories to relax and take it slow.  Thanks again, Mary
Donna B.
on 3/19/12 3:36 pm
Hi,

I think the surgery on the stomach causes the muscular action of the stomach (peristalsis)  to come to a halt for some of us for a few months.  I was like you, all i could comfortably take in were liquids and tiny portions of watery pureed food for the first 8 weeks.  Every month i noticed some improvement in the amount of food i could take in and an increase in the types of food i could eat.  First 6 weeks after surgery i was so worried because i thought i would never be able to get enough food to live on and thought i would have to live on liquids and mush for the rest of my life. 

At 4 months now i can eat anything and food doesn't sit in my stomach for many hours, and now i don't get the feeling that i am going to retch.  I can eat so well now i have to be careful not to overeat but fortunately it hasn't been a struggle to stay within 1000 calories a day.  This past week i was able to eat an entire raw apple including the skin! 

The most important thing is to chew your food 30 times and to eat slowly, and take some longer pauses between bites of food. 

Another point i wanted to make -- you may have inflammation at the entrance to the stomach and inflammation in the stomach itself.  My doctor told me to take an over the counter PPI for an additional two weeks and i believe that that helped with the inflammation.  The normal acid in the stomach was preventing or slowing healing of the stomach and that is why the PPI helped.

(HUG)

db

55 y.o.    5'4"      HW: 180's      CW: 127      Doctor's GW: 130           My GW:  117        

~ working on reaching goal again after regain            

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 314 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views