Leak??

Lorenza925
on 3/20/12 6:41 am - CA
VSG on 03/06/12
Has anyone had a leak?? What does it feel like what are the signs?
I am 2 weeks from surgery, and my stomach hurts... not crippling just persistant... and I have managed to get a very small amount of food/ liquid down today... Is it possible I have a small leak?

Lorenza
hwag5149
on 3/20/12 7:55 am
This is the reason I made the post about the search bar. This is kind of a pressing issue and you'd find a lot of info instantly instead of waiting an hour +  for an answer for something that could be pretty dangerous. I don't remember the symptoms of a leak off hand besides a fever so I can't really be of help, but for that kind of thing you should contact your surgeon. Leaks are pretty serious and that's what the surgeons are there for.  They'll tell you exactly what to look for and exactly what to do... Hopefully you've called already...

And I'm not being a smart ass about the search bar. If you don't call your dr, use it to find the symptoms.

HW 380.8+  SW- 371.4  CW- 234.4  GW- 200 

J.Lo 74
on 3/20/12 8:21 am
Left shoulder pain, left side pain, sometimes a fever and vomiting.  It would hurt when you take a breath in as well.  If you're worried, contact your doctor.  The sooner the better.
USAF Wife
on 3/20/12 8:32 am
Vomiting, rapid heartbeat, any excruciating abdominal pain, fever those can all be symptoms of a leak.

I had a leak, but I had zero symptoms because it was found on my last leak test while I was still in the hospital. I drank the contrast fluid and knew as soon as it hit my stomach that I had a leak. It was instant pain, excruciating/horrific/screaming pain. I was immediately rushed into the OR for the repair.

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Lorenza925
on 3/20/12 8:46 am - CA
VSG on 03/06/12
Thank You for the reply, as the previous post suggested I used the search bar, I dont think I have a leak.. The pain is not that intense.. If it presists I am going to go see my surgeon.

Thank you so much for your input.

Lorenza

J.Lo 74
on 3/20/12 11:06 am
My pain wasn't intense when the symptoms first started.  I didn't have a fever or rapid heart rate either.  My doctor thought my symptoms were being caused from something else - after 2 weeks of waiting I developed a fever and more pain but not as intense as the above post.  Not everyone will have the same symptoms or intensity. 
Wildoatslady
on 3/20/12 11:50 am
I did not have fever, mine was found 4 weeks out. I had center chest pain that radiated under left breast bone. And I did get to where I could not keep anything down. I made the mistake of going to my local ER, they gave me a bag of fluid & sent me home, my bloodwork was apparently ok.
Next morning I was still in pain & went to ER @ the hospital I had my surgery & dr met me there. Ct scan and upper GI pinpointed the leak. If in doubt call your surgeon.
StartWeight:264
Surgery date 11/23        
Lorenza925
on 3/22/12 2:21 am - CA
VSG on 03/06/12
went to the ER same story, They ended up finding a Kidney infection and gave me antiboitics and sent me home, then I get a call from my surgeon yesterday, he said after looking at the CT Scan he thinks there may be a leak and is going to order an upper gi ... that was yesterday ... Ive called and Ive emailed cant get through to anyone... Im not going back to the ER, they dont know the difference btwn bariatric surgery and their elbow.... Ive been keeping my fluids down and if I lay on my right side the pain is virtually gone... I am going to try to get a hold of my surgeon again wish me luck

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 275 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views