I can't do low carb

Shea_G
on 3/27/12 3:58 am - KY
Hello. I'm a little over three months and I've lost a total of 46 pounds. I've come to find out that low carb does not work for me. What made me know this is I've been in grad school over a year, last quarter was the worst and it showed in my grades. I had horrible brain fog that was keeping me from concentrating and thinking as quick as I'm use too. I also have a very demanding job where I have think and be precise and it was hard for me to think about things and even to translate my ideas into words. I have never had this happen to me.

I had to stop and think what could be causing this and it was suggested that carbs are brain food and I need to get more carbs in to feed my brain. I tried this and after a week and a half of upping my carbs to around 80-90 a day I'm doing much better. I can complete an assignment without stopping and taking a break and actually feel a lot better when I exercise, before I was so drained and fatigued.

I know many people love the low carb and do that all the way to goal, but that doesn't work for me. I have been on higher carb for about a month and my weight loss is still steady and I feel so much better. Okay so I may not lose as fast as some people but I am happier and I can do my job better and continue working on my degree with ease. I'm happy with my weight loss and I'm sure I will still make it to goal. I've dropped three dress sizes, and I think I look darn good.

For those of you that do low carb and is rocking your sleeve, WELL DONE. But as for me higher carbs is the magic key. I wish everyone well.
blueeyedgal
on 3/27/12 4:08 am - AL
VSG on 02/03/12
Congratulations on figuring out what works for you!  That is part of what this journey is about , finding out what works. I wish you much success with your journey!

blueeyedgal    
KathyA999
on 3/27/12 4:40 am
You're probably doing a lot lower carb than you did before surgery.  It's likely still low-carb, just not as low as some others.  Congrats on finding out what works for you!

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Mermaid7
on 3/27/12 4:41 am
I don't agree with you that carbs are brain food.  Remember Dobie Gillis eating sardines to make him smarter?  Maybe not, I may be a lot older than you...LOL
However, I have a friend at work who says that she does not do well on high protein diets.  She can and does eat carbs and that works best for her.  I was surprised because I thought everyone would do well on low carbs, but I guess not.  There may be more than 1 way to get to point B, and there are a lot of different plans out there.
This journey is about finding what works for us individually.
Good luck with your plan.

Nikkal
on 3/27/12 6:10 am
VSG on 07/18/13
 Glucose is the brain's primary source of energy

It CAN use ketones, but its less than ideal for most people.

Our brains use glucose at different rates - it makes sense that some people need closer to 100mg, the amount usually indicated as ideal.
Kevin H.
on 3/27/12 4:42 am - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 Do what works for you.  There are plenty of carbs that are GOOD For you and promote weight loss!

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4512874/Resistant-Star ch/ 

LaughingCow
on 3/27/12 4:45 am - VA
VSG on 02/01/12 with
We definitely all need to respond to what our body needs. Good for you! I recall reading a post from someone who was having trouble concentrating when driving and when it was suggested that she increase carbs some, it was like suggesting she drink chocolate syrup from the bottle. I kept wondering who would risk a car accident just to reach goal weight two weeks or even two months earlier. If your brain needs a few extra carbs, then get a few extra carbs in!
Amy
VSG on 2/1/12 with Dr. Halmi
nandmsmom
on 3/27/12 4:46 am - Bridgewater, MA
VSG on 01/10/12
I am the same way.  I have gone on low carb diets before and always had issues.  When I had my surgery, I didn't think too much of it.  Then I started getting really ditzy.  I put the cheese in the cabinet, almost crashed my car, forgot all kinds of things.  Hubby made me up my carbs, and I'm better now.  We're all different.  I feel great, just try to get the best carbs I can.

HW 290   SW 272  CW  234
Shea_G
on 3/27/12 4:59 am - KY
Thanks everyone. The support is awesome. I honestly thought I would get more negative opinions. I have found what works for me and I am enjoying where I am right now. This journey isn't easy, but I want to be healthy and I want to feel good. I'm trying to incorporate healthy carbs and not go overboard. I do not eat white carbs. I would not want to lose weight quickly and not feel healthy. I'm a single mother of two children, I have to be on top of things at all time. LOL. Thanks again for all the support.
on 3/27/12 4:59 am
I can't do no carb either, nor do I want to. I track my food and try to get 100+ protein and less carbs 80's this seems to work for me. Sounds like you are doing great. Love my sleeve! (I put back on some weight because all I ate was carbs!, hence the refocus and tracking my food for a while, I already feel lighter!)

Dee

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views